Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Gale, David" <Da...@Hypertherm.com> on 2005/09/13 18:58:10 UTC

IDE Integration?

One of my fellow developers (who's not fully sold on version control
yet, though I think he's close) asked me today about IDE integration.
Specifically, he's using JDeveloper and NetBeans, both of which he said
have CVS integration.  Naturally, I'd prefer to get him using
Subversion, but if the IDE support isn't there...

Since I don't use either of those tools, I'll ask the experts: do
either/both of them support SVN "out of box", and, if not, is it
possible to add that support?

Thanks,
-David

Re: IDE Integration?

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On 13-Sep-05, at 2:58 PM, Gale, David wrote:

> One of my fellow developers (who's not fully sold on version control
> yet, though I think he's close) asked me today about IDE integration.
> Specifically, he's using JDeveloper and NetBeans, both of which he
> said
> have CVS integration.  Naturally, I'd prefer to get him using
> Subversion, but if the IDE support isn't there...
>
> Since I don't use either of those tools, I'll ask the experts: do
> either/both of them support SVN "out of box", and, if not, is it
> possible to add that support?

NetBeans doesn't support SVN out of the box.  But there is a way to
get a command-line adapter configured to interface with SVN.  I think
you can download the settings from somewhere.  I normally use Eclipse
and the Subclipse plugin does a decent job.

Scott

Re: IDE Integration?

Posted by Patrick Burleson <pb...@gmail.com>.
On 9/13/05, Gale, David <Da...@hypertherm.com> wrote:
> One of my fellow developers (who's not fully sold on version control
> yet, though I think he's close) asked me today about IDE integration.
> Specifically, he's using JDeveloper and NetBeans, both of which he said
> have CVS integration.  Naturally, I'd prefer to get him using
> Subversion, but if the IDE support isn't there...

I think your fellow developer's first problem is not being fully sold
on version control. I'm interested to know what they think is bad
about version control? What's good about not using it?

Anyway, I digress. As for SVN integration in IDEs. In the Java world,
I use IDEA (www.jetbrains.com), which in 5.0 added pretty good
integration with SVN. (It's not free, but also not too exspensive).
Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) also has integration through the subclipse
(subclipse.tigris.org) project.

As for the IDEs you mentioned, I don't really know. You might bug Sun
or Borland about that.

Patrick