Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/04 22:08:30 UTC

[math] LevenbergMarquardt ParameterValidator

Hi,

I'm attempting to understand when and how I would want to use the ParameterValidator WRT LevenbergMarquardt problem construction. Anyone have any stories they can share?

TIA,
Ole

Re: [math] LevenbergMarquardt ParameterValidator

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 18:50:11 -0600, Ole Ersoy wrote:
> On 02/04/2016 04:30 PM, Gilles wrote:
>> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016 15:08:30 -0600, Ole Ersoy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm attempting to understand when and how I would want to use the
>>> ParameterValidator WRT LevenbergMarquardt problem construction.
>>> Anyone
>>> have any stories they can share?
>>
>> It is possible that the optimizer wants to try a certain value
>> for an optimized parameter that entails a constraint on another:
>> the validator can attempt to reconcile them. It might be better
>> to return a different point rather than fail.
> So how do I recognize this scenario and put in place a
> ParameterValidator that is appropriate?  What is the event that
> causes
> the validate method to be triggered?

When the corresponding argument is not null (at "problem" creation),
the point (set of optimized parameters) is always validated before
evaluation.
What point the "validate(RealVector)" returns is up to user.

Gilles

Posted by Ole Ersoy <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.