Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ganesh <em...@yahoo.co.in> on 2011/02/04 05:54:51 UTC

Re: Scale out design patterns

I am also in the same idea. Based on the field, I could shard but there are two practical difficulties.

1. If normal user logged-in then result could be fetched from the corresponding search server but if Admin user logged-in, then he may need to see all data. The query should be issued across servers and results should be consolidated.

2. Consider a scenario I am sharding based on the User, I am having single search server and It is handling 1000 members. Now as the memory consumption is high,  I have added one more search server. New users could access the second server but what about the old users, their data will be still added to the server1. How to address this issue. Is rebuilding the index the only way.

Could any one share their experience, How they solved scale out problems?

Regards
Ganesh

Posted by Toke Eskildsen <te...@statsbiblioteket.dk>.
On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 05:54 +0100, Ganesh wrote:
> 2. Consider a scenario I am sharding based on the User, I am having single search server and It is handling 1000 members. Now as the memory consumption is high,  I have added one more search server. New users could access the second server but what about the old users, their data will be still added to the server1. How to address this issue. Is rebuilding the index the only way.

You can move old users by reindexing their data at the new server and
deleting them from the old one? That's only a partial modification.

If you are about to move a whole lot of users, you can copy the old
index, delete all documents from the copy, except the ones that are to
be moved, then merge the pruned index with the new one.