Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Jon Pyle <Jo...@CapitalRadio.co.uk> on 1998/08/03 14:30:01 UTC

Re: os-solaris/2609: exits with "Too many open files; unable to open a file descriptor above 15"

The following reply was made to PR os-solaris/2609; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jon Pyle <Jo...@CapitalRadio.co.uk>
To: Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Cc: apbugs@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: os-solaris/2609: exits with "Too many open files; unable
  to open a file descriptor above 15"
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 13:25:49 +0100

 >How many total logfiles is it trying to open?  How many error logs?  How
 >many access logs?

 37 of each. Works fine with apache 1.2.6.

 >How many "Listen" directives do you have in your config file?

 None.

 >What does a "ulimit -n" show before you start Apache?

 Unlimited for root, 4194303 for webmaster.

 >Did you compile your previous server with any special flags to make it
 >work?

 Nope, ran fine straight away.

 >What is the _exact_ error that you get?

 [DATE BLURB] [warn] (24)Too many open files: unable to open file descriptor
 above 15, you may need to increase the number of file descriptors
 [DATE BLURB] [error] (24)Too many open files: httpd: could not open
 transfer log file <path to first log file in config>

 >> >Fix:
 >> Have looked at the source but cannot pinpoint the cause, is somewhere in
 the
 >> code underlying "ap_open_piped_log()" I think.
 >
 >Are you using piped logs?

 Nah, am on a red herring there then.

 It seems that this is not a unique problem, Joe Kupiszewski
 <jo...@packet.net> has reported the same problem in bug report 2430, again on
 solaris 2.5.1, and again running quite a few virtual hosts.

 Have tried all of the fixes suggested in his bug article too, but without
 success.

 Technical Designer  Tel:0171 7666175/Fax:0171 7666177
 www.CapitalFM.co.uk - 95.8 Capital FM, London's No.1 Hit Music station
 www.CapitalGoldSport.co.uk - London's Premier Sports station
 www.CapitalGold.co.uk - 1548 AM Capital Gold, All Time Golden Hits