Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com> on 2007/06/01 03:17:08 UTC

Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Hi everybody,

Now that 1.0 is behind us, it's time to think about our next release... To
kickstart the dicussion, I came up with a short list of feature that I
believe would be realistic to implement in a 2-3 month timeframe which would
lead us to a 1.1. release:

* BPEL 2.0 Compliance
   1) Support <toParts> and <fromParts>
   2) Invoking with variables that are not messages
   3) Isolated Scopes
* Implement all management queries with OpenJPA
* Provide a management console
* Replace Quartz scheduler with something better performance-wise
* Expose management APIs in a RESTful manner  (we have a volunteer for this)
* More examples!

Anything else close to your hearts?

alex

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
That would be cool :)

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Graduation? :)

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
I've updated the roadmap following the points outlined by Alex and adding
graduation and SCA. You can take a look at it here until it's mirrored:

http://cwiki.apache.org/ODExSITE/roadmap.html

Btw the good Tuscany people seem very interested in getting a BPEL
implementation integrated so we'll probably get news from them very soon.
Anybody interested in that part can jump in when they ping us.

Matthieu

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
Hi Jim,

This is already available.   A recent fix made it usable:) since before the
WSDL types were not included correctly.

alex

Re: test cases for the process management component

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
You can reuse what's been done in the bpel-test module I believe. It starts
an embedded version of ODE, mocking most required services. The most
interesting class for your needs is probably BPELTestAbstract. Some
extension may be needed but you should find most of what you're looking for.

Matthieu

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Paul Brown <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/5/07, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> wrote:
> On 6/5/07, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> > This is not to say that a nice pure REST interface doesn't have its
> > merits. However, BPEL is naturally limited in its RESTfulness by its
> > intrinsic modeling based on XSD.
> I think this is a problem of BPEL itself that's made to fit around the WSDL
> SOAP-centric model, and the best way to solve it is by extending BPEL to
> allow invocation on resources. I'm interested in coming up with a short spec
> to extend BPEL just enough to make it REST friendly.
> Anyone else interested in something like that?

I'm up for it.  It would be great to have as part of Ode.

-- Paul

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
Assaf Arkin wrote:
> On 6/5/07, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
>>
>> This is not to say that a nice pure REST interface doesn't have its
>> merits. However, BPEL is naturally limited in its RESTfulness by its
>> intrinsic modeling based on XSD.
>

> I think this is a problem of BPEL itself that's made to fit around the WSDL
> SOAP-centric model, and the best way to solve it is by extending BPEL to
> allow invocation on resources. I'm interested in coming up with a short
> spec
> to extend BPEL just enough to make it REST friendly.
>
> Anyone else interested in something like that?

Assaf, I'm definitely interested in  this piece of work. Do you have
anything specific in mind?

cheers
</jima>

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Tammo van Lessen <tv...@gmail.com>.
2007/6/5, Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>:
> I think this is a problem of BPEL itself that's made to fit around the WSDL
> SOAP-centric model, and the best way to solve it is by extending BPEL to
> allow invocation on resources. I'm interested in coming up with a short spec
> to extend BPEL just enough to make it REST friendly.
>
> Anyone else interested in something like that?

This is pretty much what we have done with BPELlight (has recently
been accepted at the BPM'07). We use an extensionActivity to decouple
process logic from interface definitions. This means that we support
the specification of message exchange patterns directly, so BPELlight
is not calling operations anymore but is rather exchanging messages
with partners. Sure, this only shifts the partner binding to another
component (deployment, ESB,...) but this is actually the advantage: It
should not be that hard to define a RESTful mapping component for
GET/PUT/POST/DELETEs for such messages (maybe based on WADL, even
though I'm not sure whether REST really needs a interface description,
but thats another issue :)).

In generell is a BPEL process IMHO very RESTful. By describing
processes as resources, things like WS-Addressing and BPEL's
correlations could be obsolete.

However, here is the abstract:
In this paper we present BPELlight which decouples process logic from
interface definitions. By extending BPEL 2.0 with a WSDL-less
interaction model, BPELlight allows to specify process models
independent of Web service technology. Since its interaction model is
based on plain message exchange, it is completely independent of any
interface description language. This fosters flexibility and
reusability of process models and enables modelling platform and
component model independent business processes. The presented approach
takes a significant step towards narrowing down the gap between
business level and IT level by facilitating a more business-oriented
modelling of executable processes.

Best regards,
  Tammo
--
Tammo van Lessen - tvanlessen@gmail.com - http://www.taval.de

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On 11/20/07, Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au> wrote:
> Assaf,
>
> Just going through the archive and wondering whether a spec exists for a
> restful extension to BPEL.

In two parts:
http://ode.apache.org/restful-bpel-part-i.html
http://ode.apache.org/restful-bpel-part-ii.html

Assaf

--
CTO, Intalio
http://www.intalio.com

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
Assaf,

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Paul Brown <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 6/5/07, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
> Paul Brown wrote:
> > The AXIS2 support is not that RESTful, i.e., it's a mapping of HTTP
> > GET with parameters onto operations without regard to the underlying
> > resources.
> Just for clarification, Axis2's HTTP support can be used to define a fully
> RESTful HTTP binding if that's what you want. We fully support the WSDL
> 2.0 HTTP binding. However you can do non-RESTful HTTP bindings too.

Right -- not a dig on AXIS at all, just a statement of fact about the
way the Ode management API looks through the HTTP binding of AXIS.
The ability to do POX GETs alone is quite nice, FWIW -- sure beats
editing-up a SOAP request and then posting it from curl on the command
line.

-- Paul

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
>> I have put together a straw man rest application, which i have deployed
>> on the geronimo along with ode and with some help from Alex was able to
>> connect to the process manager and retrieve a list of process models
>> using some thing like /processes/models.
>
> That sounds fab -- any chance to give it a whirl?
>
> -- Paul
paul. check out this. I have attached the source to a JIRA issue

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODE-142

cheers
</jima>

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Paul Brown <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
It's right there:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODE

Thanks!

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.
Matthieu,

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Jim Alateras <ji...@comware.com.au>.

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
On 5/31/07, Paul R Brown <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Alex --
>
> > * BPEL 2.0 Compliance
> >   1) Support <toParts> and <fromParts>
> >   2) Invoking with variables that are not messages
> >   3) Isolated Scopes
>
> Yes, please.  The toParts/fromParts in particular.  (Sure, I'll
> volunteer.)

Thanks!   The tracker for this issue is
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODE-118
Can you reassign to yourself and update it as soon as you get started?

> * Implement all management queries with OpenJPA
> > * Provide a management console
>
> Hmmm.  How would this work?  Web-based?

Yes, web-based is what I had in mind and what most people expect nowadays.
A viable alternative would be to push towards more JMX support and reuse the
generic management consoles out there (e.g. MC4J).   Whoever wants to commit
for that project gets to chose his/her favorite web framework (joy!), as
long as it runs on the JVM, I suppose.

> * Replace Quartz scheduler with something better performance-wise
> > * Expose management APIs in a RESTful manner  (we have a volunteer
> > for this)
>
> We're close there now, with AXIS2, although the argument names are
> all hodgy-podgy.  (I've used them successfully.)

It would be interesting to hear your experience about this....  I've spoken
to Jim Alateras who's been approaching it from the RESTlet perspective.
Maybe it's time to share thoughts and small victories ;)

> * More examples!
>
> Once upon a time, I talked with Fred Holahan over at ActiveEndpoints
> about establishing a collection of processes that could be used for
> interop purposes, but that never went anywhere at the time because
> they were all AXIS 1/RPC-lit and PXE's SOAP layer (long since gone)
> only supported doc-lit.  It might be an interesting thing to take
> another look at.

Really!  It would be great if you could get back to him and see if there's
still an interest on their part.  We could certainly do our part to help
build the collection.

alex

Re: Ode 1.1 Roadmap

Posted by Paul R Brown <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Alex --

> * BPEL 2.0 Compliance
>   1) Support <toParts> and <fromParts>
>   2) Invoking with variables that are not messages
>   3) Isolated Scopes

Yes, please.  The toParts/fromParts in particular.  (Sure, I'll
volunteer.)

> * Implement all management queries with OpenJPA
> * Provide a management console

Hmmm.  How would this work?  Web-based?

> * Replace Quartz scheduler with something better performance-wise
> * Expose management APIs in a RESTful manner  (we have a volunteer
> for this)

We're close there now, with AXIS2, although the argument names are
all hodgy-podgy.  (I've used them successfully.)

> * More examples!

Once upon a time, I talked with Fred Holahan over at ActiveEndpoints
about establishing a collection of processes that could be used for
interop purposes, but that never went anywhere at the time because
they were all AXIS 1/RPC-lit and PXE's SOAP layer (long since gone)
only supported doc-lit.  It might be an interesting thing to take
another look at.

My $0.02.

-- Paul