Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org> on 2004/12/07 00:43:57 UTC

happy "nikolaus"

...at least in Germany we celebrate the 6th of Dec
with little presents.

Well, I finished my little present for you guys just in
time (about an hour ago). Ladies and gentleman:

...we have auto-compiling javaflow!!

My idea was to build a little nikolaus-flow application.
...but time did run out and I still want to polish some
things before I commit it to 2.1. ...but since I am
excited I wanted to share it with you guys.

I factored out the javaflow into a separate project
that hopefully will find some friends over in the
jakarta commons sandbox. ...same goes for the fully-
no-worries-ASL-licensed compiling classloader.

If someone really really bugs be I might be able
to put a first zipped version online somewhere.
Otherwise you will have to wait until I have a
few spare minutes and the commit messages gives
notice.

As for the changes:

The CompilingClassLoader now hooks in through
the ParanoidServlet. It watches a repository for
changes and compiles the classes accordingly.
A special version, the ContinuationClassLoader,
also rewrites the classes so they can be used
as javaflow.

Currently only compilation through the eclipse
compiler is supported. (but this might change
in the future) All classes are constructed and
held in memory directly.

I have no clue how this all will work out in
the real world. But I am looking forward to
getting some feedback.

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by michaelm <mi...@managesoft.com>.
Great Stuff Mr TC. :)

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 7 déc. 04, à 00:43, Torsten Curdt a écrit :

> ...we have auto-compiling javaflow!!

Wow - thanks Torsten, looking forward to testing this!

-Bertrand

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Does this mean we could theoretically have e.g. WEB-INF/src with all
> webapp source files and have them automagically compiled on the fly
> (including Cocoon itself)?

potentially - yes. not sure about the implications
on the container though. probably the CCL needs to go
even further up the chain for that.

...but feel free to give it a try :-)
that would be hardcore!

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> ...at least in Germany we celebrate the 6th of Dec
> with little presents.
>
> Well, I finished my little present for you guys just in
> time (about an hour ago). Ladies and gentleman:
>
> ...we have auto-compiling javaflow!

Yummy :-)

> My idea was to build a little nikolaus-flow application.
> ...but time did run out and I still want to polish some
> things before I commit it to 2.1. ...but since I am
> excited I wanted to share it with you guys.
>
> I factored out the javaflow into a separate project
> that hopefully will find some friends over in the
> jakarta commons sandbox. ...same goes for the fully-
> no-worries-ASL-licensed compiling classloader.
>
> If someone really really bugs be I might be able
> to put a first zipped version online somewhere.
> Otherwise you will have to wait until I have a
> few spare minutes and the commit messages gives
> notice.
>
> As for the changes:
>
> The CompilingClassLoader now hooks in through
> the ParanoidServlet. It watches a repository for
> changes and compiles the classes accordingly.

Does this mean we could theoretically have e.g. WEB-INF/src with all
webapp source files and have them automagically compiled on the fly
(including Cocoon itself)?

Thanks for the gift!

Sylvain

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> Now, I'm scratching my head thinking of what it would take for you and
> Pier to get together and try to integrate that into the new kernel...
> hmmm any idea? ;-)

probably "only" some free time
...and maybe a cheap flight :o)

we'll see...

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> <snip/>

>>> AFAIU, this could easily be done by adding a per-sitemap
>>> autocompiling classloader. We could even have per-sitemap lib and src
>>> directories. Read "BLOCK-INF/lib" and "BLOCK-INF/src" ;-)
>>

>> you volunteering?
>

> sounds like that to me? ;o)
>
> ...but I am not sure if it's that
> easy. the container needs to be
> notified. The roles might have
> changed and so on.

Now, I'm scratching my head thinking of what it would take for you and
Pier to get together and try to integrate that into the new kernel...
hmmm any idea? ;-)

--
Stefano.

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:

>>> AFAIU, this could easily be done by adding a per-sitemap
>>> autocompiling classloader. We could even have per-sitemap lib and src
>>> directories. Read "BLOCK-INF/lib" and "BLOCK-INF/src" ;-)
>>
>> you volunteering?
>
> sounds like that to me? ;o)
>
> ...but I am not sure if it's that
> easy. the container needs to be
> notified. The roles might have
> changed and so on.

First step is having a running BlockManager in Cocoon core. Things might be
clearer then ...

--
Reinhard

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> ...at least in Germany we celebrate the 6th of Dec
> with little presents.
>
> Well, I finished my little present for you guys just in
> time (about an hour ago). Ladies and gentleman:
>
> ...we have auto-compiling javaflow!!
>
> My idea was to build a little nikolaus-flow application.
> ...but time did run out and I still want to polish some
> things before I commit it to 2.1. ...but since I am
> excited I wanted to share it with you guys.
>
> I factored out the javaflow into a separate project
> that hopefully will find some friends over in the
> jakarta commons sandbox. ...same goes for the fully-
> no-worries-ASL-licensed compiling classloader.
>
> If someone really really bugs be I might be able
> to put a first zipped version online somewhere.
> Otherwise you will have to wait until I have a
> few spare minutes and the commit messages gives
> notice.
>
> As for the changes:
>
> The CompilingClassLoader now hooks in through
> the ParanoidServlet. It watches a repository for
> changes and compiles the classes accordingly.
> A special version, the ContinuationClassLoader,
> also rewrites the classes so they can be used
> as javaflow.
>
> Currently only compilation through the eclipse
> compiler is supported. (but this might change
> in the future) All classes are constructed and
> held in memory directly.
>
> I have no clue how this all will work out in
> the real world. But I am looking forward to
> getting some feedback.

You are now officially *MY* hero.

No, wait, you need to allow me to have dynamically autorecompiled
sitemap components and at *that* point you are my hero :-)

YAY!

--
Stefano.

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> What on earth can we give you as a return gift?
>
> Community gratitude.

that's way enough :-)

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: happy "nikolaus"

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> ...at least in Germany we celebrate the 6th of Dec
> with little presents.
>
> Well, I finished my little present for you guys just in
> time (about an hour ago). Ladies and gentleman:
>
> ...we have auto-compiling javaflow!!

What on earth can we give you as a return gift?

Community gratitude.

--David