Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andy C <an...@r2-dvd.org> on 2001/04/19 13:20:33 UTC

OT: Serialization problem between JVM 1.1.6 and 1.3

OK,
A little off topic, but this is stopping me upgrading the JVM that Tomcat
uses.

I have a serialzed class that was written out using the old 1.1.6 JVM.  I
now need to read it in using the 1.3 JVM.  However if I try to do so I get:

#
# An EXCEPTION_STACK_OVERFLOW exception has been detected in native code
outside
 the VM.
# Program counter=0x77e848dd
#
#

Is there a solution to this ?  Is there a better place to ask.  I've
search javasoft but to no avail.  I am a bit stuck at present !

Andy C
Editor The R2 Project
http://www.r2-dvd.org

Re: Serialization problem between JVM 1.1.6 and 1.3

Posted by Sam Newman <sa...@stamplets.com>.
Serialization is only really meant for short term storage, e.g. for
transmition over the network or between java pcoesses via RMI. Its possible
that the class youe serializing contains classes whose implementation is
based partly on native code, which may of changed between the two JVM's.The
only solution I guess is try load the file in a jdk1.1.6 program, export it
to some independant format (XML, CSV file) and then load it with a 1.3
program. I've spent the last month or so removing the use of serialization
from our code as it causes too many problems. Instead we've replaced it with
XML. Jdk 1.4 will include a mechanism for serializing using XML.

sam