Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by ganesh narayan <ig...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/05 10:49:49 UTC

Communication between Two james server

Hi,

i m using windows OS, Started Two different JAMES server With the
following configuration

iloyal.com
------------------
Remote Manager Service started plain:4555
POP3 Service started plain:110
SMTP Service started plain:25
NNTP Service started plain:119

qantas.com
--------------------
Remote Manager Service started plain:4556
POP3 Service started plain:111
SMTP Service started plain:26
NNTP Service started plain:120

I have created some users for both the servers.  say,
customer@qantas.com and customer.care@iloyal.com
Within the server i am able to send or receive mails from Other user
of same domain.

i need to send a mail from one domain to other. What r all the
configuration. Without a DNS server configuration, can't  i do this ?

in hosts i have entries  like

127.0.0.1 	smtp.iloyal.com
127.0.0.1 	pop.iloyal.com
127.0.0.1 	smtp.qantas.com
127.0.0.1 	pop.qantas.com

Thanks & Regards,

Re: Communication between Two james server

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
ganesh narayan ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> i m using windows OS, Started Two different JAMES server With the
> following configuration
>
> iloyal.com
> ------------------
> Remote Manager Service started plain:4555
> POP3 Service started plain:110
> SMTP Service started plain:25
> NNTP Service started plain:119
>
> qantas.com
> --------------------
> Remote Manager Service started plain:4556
> POP3 Service started plain:111
> SMTP Service started plain:26
> NNTP Service started plain:120

Unfortunately in the SMTP protocol there is no concept of alternate
port. So you can't say that qantas.com is on port 26 because the MX
configuration doesn't allow you to explain this.

Do you understand this? How do you plan to receive mails to qantas.com?
Is there a port forwarding behind it?

> I have created some users for both the servers.  say,
> customer@qantas.com and customer.care@iloyal.com
> Within the server i am able to send or receive mails from Other user
> of same domain.
>
> i need to send a mail from one domain to other. What r all the
> configuration. Without a DNS server configuration, can't  i do this ?

If you could have correct MX pointers for that domains (and you can't
because of the port issue) it would work with the default RemoteDelivery.

Otherwise you can configure a specific Matcher/Mailet to forward mails
destinated to a given domain to a specific host/port (gateway).

Something like this (not looking at docs, but using my bad memory, so
take this as a pointer, not a working config)
<mailet match="HostIs=qantas.com" mailet="RemoteDelivery">
<!-- Use a different outgoing spool -->
<outgoing> file://var/mail/outgoing2/ </outgoing>
<gateway>127.0.0.1</gateway>
<gatewayPort>26</gateway>
</mailet>

HTH,