Posted to general@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2004/03/01 00:09:09 UTC

RE: Support for MDN MIME content types?

<snip>

> Strictly speaking, these are JavaMail / Java Activation Framework
> extensions. James has no direct dependency on them. However, they are
> generally useful to anyone wishing to implement MDN (Message Disposition
> Notification).
>
> Do we want to create a home for javamail extensions in order to make them
> available for re-use by James and its Mailets (might be
> org.apache.james.javamail or a new sub-project) or deal with such
> issues on
> an ad-hoc basis?

I think it would be a good idea to have a seperate module for Java Mail implementation classes, unless we're going to have James specific Java Mail implementations, in which case it wouldn't.. By which I'm thinking mainly of outgoing SMTP, an SMTP "Transport" provider for Java Mail might well have a James specific implementation allowing it to make direct use of James resources.

Then again it might survive as a Java Mail/ Mailet implementation, providing enhanced outgoing SMTP for any Mailet Context using the context for access to DNS and spooling, and providing connection re-use, message aggregation, and deliver event notification to the Mailet Context.

... so I can see two equally valid answers here :-(

d.