Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2015/02/15 19:46:29 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 release is now available for voting.

The main changes since 8.0.18 are:
- Fix a performance regression in the new resources implementation
  when signed JARs are used in a web application.
- Fix several bugs that could cause multiple registrations for write
  events for a single socket when using Servlet 3.0 async. Typically,
  the side effects of these multiple registrations would be
  exceptions appearing in the logs.
- Enhance the bean factory used for JNDI resources. The new
  attribute forceString allows to support non-standard string
  argument property setters.

There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.20/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1036/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_20/

The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 2/15/15 1:46 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.18 are:
> - Fix a performance regression in the new resources implementation
>   when signed JARs are used in a web application.
> - Fix several bugs that could cause multiple registrations for write
>   events for a single socket when using Servlet 3.0 async. Typically,
>   the side effects of these multiple registrations would be
>   exceptions appearing in the logs.
> - Enhance the bean factory used for JNDI resources. The new
>   attribute forceString allows to support non-standard string
>   argument property setters.
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.20/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1036/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_20/
>
> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20

No problems in an active multi-user development environment.

Details:

* Environment
*  Java (build):     java version "1.7.0_76" Java(TM) SE Runtime
Environment (build 1.7.0_76-b13) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
(build 24.76-b04, mixed mode)
*  Java (test):     java version "1.7.0_76" Java(TM) SE Runtime
Environment (build 1.7.0_76-b13) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
(build 24.76-b04, mixed mode)
*  OS:       Linux 2.6.32-312-ec2 x86_64
*  cc:       cc (Debian 4.7.2-5) 4.7.2
*  make:     GNU Make 3.81
*  OpenSSL:  OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013
*  APR:      1.4.6
*
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20.zip
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20.tar.gz
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20.exe
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20.exe
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20-src.zip
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20-src.zip
* Valid MD5 signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20-src.tar.gz
* Valid GPG signature for apache-tomcat-8.0.20-src.tar.gz
*
* Binary Zip and tarball: Same
* Source Zip and tarball: Same
*
* Building dependencies returned: 0
* tcnative builds cleanly
* Tomcat builds cleanly
* Junit Tests: FAILED
*
* Tests that failed: (multicast is known not to work in my environment)
org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSession.APR.txt
org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSession.BIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSession.NIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSession.NIO2.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.APR.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.BIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.NIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelMemberArrival.NIO2.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.APR.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.BIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.NIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelSenderConnections.NIO2.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.APR.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.BIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.NIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.TestGroupChannelStartStop.NIO2.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.APR.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.BIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.NIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestNonBlockingCoordinator.NIO2.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.APR.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.BIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.NIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestOrderInterceptor.NIO2.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.APR.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.BIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.NIO.txt
org.apache.catalina.tribes.group.interceptors.TestTcpFailureDetector.NIO2.txt

-chris

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/02/2015 12:14, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> The following votes were cast:
>>
>> Binding:
>> +1: markt, remm, rjung, kfujino, schultz, violetagg
>>  0: kkolinko
>>
>> Non-binding:
>> +1: fschumacher
>>
>> The release vote therefore passes.
>>
>> I'll do the updates now and announce in ~24 hours once the mirrors catch up.
>>

> 8.0.20 is at the mirrors,
> but there was no announcement and no update to tomcat.a.o site.

I know. My bad. It has been a case of "I'll just fix this last bug
breaking the unit tests and then I'll do the announcement..." for a few
days now.

I will get this done this afternoon.

Mark

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> The following votes were cast:
>
> Binding:
> +1: markt, remm, rjung, kfujino, schultz, violetagg
>  0: kkolinko
>
> Non-binding:
> +1: fschumacher
>
> The release vote therefore passes.
>
> I'll do the updates now and announce in ~24 hours once the mirrors catch up.

8.0.20 is at the mirrors,
but there was no announcement and no update to tomcat.a.o site.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 15.02.2015 um 19:46 schrieb Mark Thomas:

> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20

+1 to release.

Details
=======

- MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- key in KEYS file
- gz and zip for src and bin consistent
- src completely consistent with svn tag
- builds fine
   - warning about unchecked calls or conversions in:
     - org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java
     - org/apache/tomcat/jdbc/pool/PoolProperties.java
   Not a regression
- build result looks consistent with binaries
- no checkstyle complaints
- no Javadoc warnings
- Unit tests: No failures
   - Details of log output see below
- JMX MBean Comparison:
   - OperatingSystem MBean attribute OpenFileDescriptorCount
     reduced from 81 to 80 (was 81 at least since 8.0.16)

Build and tests were done using Java 1.7.0_76. OS was Solaris 10 Sparc,
tcnative was 1.1.32 based on APR 1.5.1 and OpenSSL 1.0.1l.

Unit test warnings
==================

- total 214, previous numbers:
   8.0.14: 198
   8.0.15: 212
   8.0.16: 200
   8.0.17: 213
   8.0.18: 204
   8.0.20: 214

- 62 times (+3)
"...tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.sendElectionMsgToNextInline
Unable to send election message to:..."

- 9 (-2) "...tribes.transport.nio.ParallelNioSender.doLoop Member send
is failing..." on thread Tribes-Task-Receiver-...

- 7 (+6) "...tribes.transport.nio.ParallelNioSender.doLoop Member send
is failing..." on thread Membership-MemberDisappeared.

- 6 (+2)
"org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.NioReplicationTask.run
IOException in replication worker, unable to drain channel. Probable
cause: Keep alive socket closed[null]."

- 0 (-1) "...tribes.transport.nio.ParallelNioSender.doLoop Not retrying
send for:..."

- 48 (+2) "...WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web
application [ROOT] appears to have started a thread named..."

- 4 (unchanged) "...WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesStopTimerThread
The web application [ROOT] appears to have started a TimerThread named
[leaked-thread] via the java.util.Timer API but has failed to stop it...."

- 12 (unchanged) "...HostConfig.deployDescriptor A docBase
/.../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp inside the host appBase has been
specified, and will be ignored"

- 8 (unchanged) "...HostConfig.deployWARs The directory
[/.../apache-tomcat-VERSION-src-gz/output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp] will
be ignored because the WAR
[/.../apache-tomcat-VERSION-src-gz/output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp.war]
takes priority and unpackWARs is false"

- 20 (unchanged) "...StandardContext.setPath A context path must either
be an empty string or start with a '/' and do not end with a '/'. The
path [...] does not meet these criteria and has been changed to [...]"

- 8 (unchanged) StuckThreadDetectionValve.notifyStuckThreadDetected

- 4 (unchanged) StuckThreadDetectionValve$MonitoredThread.interruptIfStuck

- 4 (unchanged) "...WebXml.setVersion Unknown version string [0.0].
Default version will be used."

- 4 (unchanged) "...WebXml.orderWebFragments Used a wrong fragment name
z at web.xml absolute-ordering tag!"

- 4 (unchanged) "...TestStandardContextResources.testResources
testResources(): orderedLibs: [...]"

- 3 (unchanged) "...AbstractEndpoint.shutdownExecutor The executor
associated with thread pool [...] has not fully shutdown. Some
application threads may still be running."

- 3 (unchanged) "....WsSession.onClose Failed to flush batched messages
on session close"

- 2 (-2) "...WsServerContainer.destroy Unable to destroy WebSocket
thread group [WebSocketServer-localhost-ROOT] as [1] threads were still
running when the web application was stopped. The thread group will be
destroyed once the threads terminate."

- 2 (unchanged) "...Http11Processor.actionInternal Exception getting SSL
attribute"

- 2 (unchanged) "...Http11Nio2Processor.actionInternal Exception
re-negotiating SSL connection"

- 1 (+1) "...JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run Socket reprocessing request
was rejected
for:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.SocketWrapper@...:Socket[addr=...,port=...,localport=...]"

Unit test SEVERE messages
=========================

- total 711, previous numbers:
   8.0.14: 706
   8.0.15: 701
   8.0.16: 698
   8.0.17: 701
   8.0.18: 698
   8.0.20: 711

- 196 (unchanged) "Servlet.service() for servlet
... threw exception".

292 messages (unchanged) in TestHostConfigAutomaticDeployment:

- 104 org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal
ContainerBase.addChild: start:
- 64 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor Error
deploying configuration descriptor
.../output/test-tmp/conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml
- 24 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory The web
application with context path [/myapp] was not deployed because it
contained a deployment descriptor
[.../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp/META-INF/context.xml] which may include
  configuration necessary for the secure deployment of the application
but processing of deployment descriptors is prevented by the deployXML
setting of this host. An appropriate
  descriptor should be created at
[.../output/test-tmp/conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml] to
deploy this application.
- 24 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory Error
deploying web application directory .../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp
- 16 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR The web
application with context path [/myapp] was not deployed because it
contained a deployment descriptor [META-INF/context.xml] which may
include configuration necessary for the secure deployment of the
application but processing of deployment descriptors is prevented by
the deployXML setting of this host. An appropriate descriptor should be
created at [.../output/test-tmp/conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml] to
deploy this application.
- 16 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Error deploying
web application archive .../output/test-tmp/webapps/myapp.war
- 12 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
- 8 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Error
configuring application listener of class
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener
- 8 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Skipped
installing application listeners due to previous error(s)
- 8 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Error
listenerStart
- 8 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context
[/myapp] startup failed due to previous errors

40 messages (unchanged) in TestWebRuleSet:

- 36 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement Begin event
threw exception
- 4 org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.endElement End event threw
exception

tribes

- 7 (-4)
"...tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.messageReceived
Error processing coordination message. Could be fatal."
- 8 (+6)
"...tribes.group.interceptors.NonBlockingCoordinator.memberDisappeared
Unable to start election when member was removed.

Mapper

- 8 (+4) "...addHost Duplicate Host..."
- 16 (+8) "addHostAliasImpl Duplicate host Alias"

websocket

- 11 (+1) "...PojoEndpointBase.onError No error handling configured..."
- 1 (unchanged) "...PojoEndpointBase.onError Failed to call onError
method of POJO end point for POJO of type..."

SecurityConstraint (unchanged)

- 52 "...SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods For security
constraints with URL pattern ... the HTTP methods ... are uncovered."

StandardContext (unchanged)

- 4 StandardContext.filterStart Exception starting filter Bug46243
- 4 StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized
event to listener instance of class
org.apache.catalina.startup.TestListener$SCL2
- 4 StandardContext.startInternal Error filterStart
- 4 StandardContext.startInternal Error loadOnStartup
- 12 StandardContext.startInternal Context [] startup failed due to
previous errors
- 12 StandardContext.startInternal Error listenerStart

loader (unchanged)

- 8 WebappClassLoaderBase.checkThreadLocalMapForLeaks

descriptor (unchanged)

- 8 WebXml.mergeLifecycleCallback

coyote

- 3 (unchanged) "...CoyoteAdapter.asyncDispatch Exception while
processing an asynchronous request"

- 19 (-2) "...AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process Error
reading request, ignored"

- 1 (unchanged) TestXxxEndpoint.createAprSocket Could not bind: Address
already in use

comet

-1 (+1) TestCometProcessor.testCometConnectorStop Status:

"Exception" in output of unit tests
===================================

total 879 (-3), previous numbers:
   8.0.14: 866
   8.0.15: 874
   8.0.16: 885
   8.0.17: 890
   8.0.18: 882
   8.0.20: 879

Top exception counts:

  100 javax.servlet.ServletException: Opps.
   64 Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main resource
set specified [.../output/test-tmp/external/XXX] is not valid
      (52 times for myapp, 12 times for external.war)
   64 times the three lines:
         java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
         org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
         Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to
start component [org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot@HEX]
   40 times the three lines:
         java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component [/myapp]
         org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component [/myapp]
         Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to
process either the global, per-host or context-specific context.xml file
therefore the [/myapp] Context cannot be started.
   16 org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext.log servlet:
java.io.IOException: Invalid chunk header
   12  java.io.FileNotFoundException:
.../output/test-tmp/external/external.war (No such file or directory)
   12 org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.beforeStart Exception
fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   12 java.lang.IllegalArgumentException with three messages:
      - <ordering> element is limited to NUMBER occurrence
      - <name> element is limited to NUMBER occurrence
      - <absolute-ordering> element is limited to NUMBER occurrence

The remaining ones have 100 different messages and occur 327 times.

I'm not claiming that any of the SEVERE or Exception messages are
important. The numbers didn't change much relative 8.0.18.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 15.02.2015 um 19:46 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.18 are:
> - Fix a performance regression in the new resources implementation
>    when signed JARs are used in a web application.
> - Fix several bugs that could cause multiple registrations for write
>    events for a single socket when using Servlet 3.0 async. Typically,
>    the side effects of these multiple registrations would be
>    exceptions appearing in the logs.
> - Enhance the bean factory used for JNDI resources. The new
>    attribute forceString allows to support non-standard string
>    argument property setters.
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.20/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1036/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_20/
>
> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20

* Checksums are valid
* Source in tar.gz and tag are the same (except the modules tomcat-lite
and bayeux are in tag only)
* Tests pass on ubuntu 14.10 with java 1.7
         java version "1.7.0_75"
         OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.4) (7u75-2.5.4-1~trusty1)

Regards
  Felix

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Keiichi Fujino <kf...@apache.org>.

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.18 are:
> - Fix a performance regression in the new resources implementation
>   when signed JARs are used in a web application.
> - Fix several bugs that could cause multiple registrations for write
>   events for a single socket when using Servlet 3.0 async. Typically,
>   the side effects of these multiple registrations would be
>   exceptions appearing in the logs.
> - Enhance the bean factory used for JNDI resources. The new
>   attribute forceString allows to support non-standard string
>   argument property setters.
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
>
> http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.20/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1036/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_20/
>
> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20

Tested on my test applications (enable session replication).
Works fine.

 <de...@tomcat.apache.org>

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> On 16/02/2015 14:09, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 release is now available for voting.
>>>

>>> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
>>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>>> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20
>>>

>> I am abstaining for now.
>>
>> Using JDK 7u76, win, 32-bit
>> Unit tests pass.
>>
>> Smoke testing: I see an issue with numberwriter example.
>>
>> Test:
>> 1) go to  /examples/servlets/nonblocking/numberwriter  with a web browser
>> 2) look into access log
>> Expected: status 200
>> Actual: status 500 for APR, NIO, NIO2.  (BIO is OK)
>>
>> NIO sometimes show status 200.
>> NIO+HTTPS shows status 200.
>
> How frequently do you see this? I've just tried repeating this with NIO
> on Windows (64-bit OS, 32-bit u76 JDK, 8.0.x) without success.
>
> I've tired a few other OS / JDK combinations that are less like your
> environment and I haven't been able to repeat this there either.

As this is reproducible for 8.0.18, I filed it into Bugzilla. I am
attaching the logs there.
https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=57592

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

>>> I am abstaining for now.
>>>
>>> Using JDK 7u76, win, 32-bit
>>> Unit tests pass.
>>>
>>> Smoke testing: I see an issue with numberwriter example.
>>>
>>> Test:
>>> 1) go to  /examples/servlets/nonblocking/numberwriter  with a web browser
>>> 2) look into access log
>>> Expected: status 200
>>> Actual: status 500 for APR, NIO, NIO2.  (BIO is OK)
>>>
>>> NIO sometimes show status 200.
>>> NIO+HTTPS shows status 200.
>>
>> How frequently do you see this? I've just tried repeating this with NIO
>> on Windows (64-bit OS, 32-bit u76 JDK, 8.0.x) without success.
>>
>> I've tired a few other OS / JDK combinations that are less like your
>> environment and I haven't been able to repeat this there either.
>
> I am observing this consistently.  Though as it disappeared with HTTPS
> connector it depends on timing.  I configured HTTPS Nio2 connector and
> I observe this issue there as well.
>
> I enabled FINE logging for Coyote and I am seeing the following
> messages for a single request:

For APR connector:

[[[
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.014 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.register
Register Catalina:type=RequestProcessor,worker="http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083",name=HttpRequest1
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.023 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_READ], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.051 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_READ], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.110 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-3]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.137 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-4]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.144 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-5]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.154 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-6]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.175 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-7]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.184 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-8]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.193 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-9]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.206 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-10]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.292 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-1]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.298 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.304 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-3]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.310 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-4]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.316 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-5]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.323 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-6]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.330 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-7]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.343 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-8]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.426 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-9]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.432 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-10]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.438 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-1]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.444 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.450 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-3]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.456 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-4]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.518 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-5]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.524 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-6]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.529 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-7]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [ASYNC_END]
18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.530 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-7]
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.asyncDispatch Unable
to write async data.
 java.lang.IllegalStateException: Calling [asyncOperation()] is not
valid for a request with Async state [DISPATCHED]
    at org.apache.coyote.AsyncStateMachine.asyncOperation(AsyncStateMachine.java:207)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.asyncDispatch(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1658)
    at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:650)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11AprProtocol.java:285)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(AprEndpoint.java:2439)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(AprEndpoint.java:2428)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

18-Feb-2015 15:57:47.536 FINE [http-apr-127.0.0.1-8083-exec-7]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AprEndpoint$AprSocketWrapper@1342088:86309568],
Status in: [OPEN_WRITE], State out: [CLOSED]
]]]

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> On 16/02/2015 14:09, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 release is now available for voting.
>>>

>>> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
>>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>>> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20
>>>

>> I am abstaining for now.
>>
>> Using JDK 7u76, win, 32-bit
>> Unit tests pass.
>>
>> Smoke testing: I see an issue with numberwriter example.
>>
>> Test:
>> 1) go to  /examples/servlets/nonblocking/numberwriter  with a web browser
>> 2) look into access log
>> Expected: status 200
>> Actual: status 500 for APR, NIO, NIO2.  (BIO is OK)
>>
>> NIO sometimes show status 200.
>> NIO+HTTPS shows status 200.
>
> How frequently do you see this? I've just tried repeating this with NIO
> on Windows (64-bit OS, 32-bit u76 JDK, 8.0.x) without success.
>
> I've tired a few other OS / JDK combinations that are less like your
> environment and I haven't been able to repeat this there either.

I am observing this consistently.  Though as it disappeared with HTTPS
connector it depends on timing.  I configured HTTPS Nio2 connector and
I observe this issue there as well.

I enabled FINE logging for Coyote and I am seeing the following
messages for a single request:

[[[
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.372 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.register
Register Catalina:type=RequestProcessor,worker="http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084",name=HttpRequest1
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.378 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractNioInputBuffer.parseRequestLine
Received [GET /examples/servlets/nonblocking/numberwriter HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost:8084
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.611 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_READ], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.663 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_READ], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.865 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-4]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.894 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-6]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.917 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-8]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.940 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-10]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.957 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.975 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-4]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.984 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-6]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:16.991 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-8]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.006 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-10]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.014 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-3]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.023 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-2]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.032 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-7]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.053 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-8]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.060 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-3]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.068 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-5]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.078 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-7]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.085 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-9]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.093 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-10]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.107 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-8]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.116 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-3]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.131 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-5]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.143 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-1]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.155 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-4]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [LONG]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.169 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-10]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [ASYNC_END]
18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.170 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-10]
org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.asyncDispatch Unable
to write async data.
 java.lang.IllegalStateException: Calling [asyncOperation()] is not
valid for a request with Async state [DISPATCHED]
    at org.apache.coyote.AsyncStateMachine.asyncOperation(AsyncStateMachine.java:207)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.asyncDispatch(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1658)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Nio2Processor.asyncDispatch(Http11Nio2Processor.java:155)
    at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:650)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Nio2Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Nio2Protocol.java:177)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(Nio2Endpoint.java:1087)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$SocketProcessor.run(Nio2Endpoint.java:1046)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint.processSocket0(Nio2Endpoint.java:598)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint.processSocket(Nio2Endpoint.java:583)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalNio2OutputBuffer$2.completed(InternalNio2OutputBuffer.java:199)
    at org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalNio2OutputBuffer$2.completed(InternalNio2OutputBuffer.java:165)
    at sun.nio.ch.Invoker.invokeUnchecked(Invoker.java:126)
    at sun.nio.ch.Invoker$2.run(Invoker.java:218)
    at sun.nio.ch.AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl$1.run(AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.java:112)
    at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

18-Feb-2015 15:51:17.183 FINE [http-nio2-127.0.0.1-8084-exec-10]
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process
Socket: [org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Endpoint$Nio2SocketWrapper@851105:org.apache.tomcat.util.net.Nio2Channel@406c4:sun.nio.ch.WindowsAsynchronousSocketChannelImpl[connected
local=/127.0.0.1:8084 remote=/127.0.0.1:51890]], Status in:
[OPEN_WRITE], State out: [CLOSED]
]]]

The ISE is probably the one causing error 500. It is interesting to
note that there are many different threads involved.

Port 8084 is Nio2. My connectors configuration:
[[[
    <Connector port="8081" address="127.0.0.1"
               protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    <Connector port="8082" address="127.0.0.1"
               protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    <Connector port="8083" address="127.0.0.1"
               protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11AprProtocol"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />
    <Connector port="8084" address="127.0.0.1"
               protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Nio2Protocol"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               redirectPort="8443" />

    <Connector port="8443" address="127.0.0.1"
               protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
               maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https" secure="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
               sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1,SSLv2Hello"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               />
    <Connector port="9443" address="127.0.0.1"
               protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol"
               maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https" secure="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
               sslEnabledProtocols="TLSv1,SSLv2Hello"
               connectionTimeout="20000"
               />
    <Connector port="10443" address="127.0.0.1"

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 16/02/2015 14:09, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 release is now available for voting.
>>

>> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>> [ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20
>>

> I am abstaining for now.
>
> Using JDK 7u76, win, 32-bit
> Unit tests pass.
>
> Smoke testing: I see an issue with numberwriter example.
>
> Test:
> 1) go to  /examples/servlets/nonblocking/numberwriter  with a web browser
> 2) look into access log
> Expected: status 200
> Actual: status 500 for APR, NIO, NIO2.  (BIO is OK)
>
> NIO sometimes show status 200.
> NIO+HTTPS shows status 200.

How frequently do you see this? I've just tried repeating this with NIO
on Windows (64-bit OS, 32-bit u76 JDK, 8.0.x) without success.

I've tired a few other OS / JDK combinations that are less like your
environment and I haven't been able to repeat this there either.

> A GET request is sufficient to trigger this, so I first noted this
> with wget -r examples and searched the log for " 500 ".  The
> downloaded file is OK.
>
> There are no error messages in JULI log files.
>
> Looking into my old logs for testing 8.0.18, this was observed in that
> version as well, so it is not a regression.

OK. Based on what we know about this so far, I intend to continue with
the 8.0.20 vote.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.18 are:
> - Fix a performance regression in the new resources implementation
>   when signed JARs are used in a web application.
> - Fix several bugs that could cause multiple registrations for write
>   events for a single socket when using Servlet 3.0 async. Typically,
>   the side effects of these multiple registrations would be
>   exceptions appearing in the logs.
> - Enhance the bean factory used for JNDI resources. The new
>   attribute forceString allows to support non-standard string
>   argument property setters.
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:

http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.20/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1036/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_20/
>
> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20

Checked with applications that use the new specifications features.

Regards,
Violeta

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20

Testsuite passes for me as well.

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.20

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 15/02/2015 18:46, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.18 are:
> - Fix a performance regression in the new resources implementation
>   when signed JARs are used in a web application.
> - Fix several bugs that could cause multiple registrations for write
>   events for a single socket when using Servlet 3.0 async. Typically,
>   the side effects of these multiple registrations would be
>   exceptions appearing in the logs.
> - Enhance the bean factory used for JNDI resources. The new
>   attribute forceString allows to support non-standard string
>   argument property setters.
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.20/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1036/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_20/
>
> The proposed 8.0.20 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.20

Unit tests all pass on 64-bit Windows, Linux and OSX.

I have the failing test Konstantin reported running in a loop and it is
up to 84 runs without a failure.

Mark