Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> on 2016/11/01 08:24:12 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.0-beta-2 based on RC2

I would like to beta-release the [jcs] component.
The issues found with RC1 have been addressed.

Apache Commons JCS 2.0-beta-2 RC2 is available for review at:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (r16762).

Maven artifacts are at:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1218 .

The Subversion tag is:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/commons-jcs-2.0-beta-2
(r1767436).

The release notes are at:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/commons-jcs-2.0-beta-2/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
(r1767436).

The staged site is available as a tarball at

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/commons-jcs-site-2.0-beta-2.tar.gz
(r16762).

Please review the release candidate and vote.

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
  [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...

Bye, Thomas

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.0-beta-2 based on RC2

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
On 08.11.16 20:07, Gary Gregory wrote:
>> Now how shall we proceed?
>>
>> I'd be willing to change the groupId/package name to
>> org.apache.commons.jcs2 or whatever if you insist that
>> org.apache.commons.jcs has been wasted on 2.0-beta-1.
>>

> I think we are good as is, keep org.apache.commons.jcs for beta2 and
> eventually 2.0.

Ok, then. We would need one more PMC vote to continue. Could I please
ask for some kind soul who reviews the release candidate?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 08.11.16 10:26, sebb wrote:
> > Alpha should be used for unstable API
> > Beta would be for unstable Behaviour (i.e. implementation)
>
> That is exactly what happened. JCS actually has only 3 public API
> classes, JCS, CacheAccess and CacheGroupAccess. These have been
> redesigned for the step from 1.3 to 2.0 but are now stable for the 2.0
> API (beta1, beta2). It's all under the hood that has changed.
>

> > However I'm not sure that these should not be introduced in the middle
> > of a stable version series.
> > I would expect to find them at the start of a new major version.
>
> Agreed. See above. That is what happened.
>
> Now how shall we proceed?
>
> I'd be willing to change the groupId/package name to
> org.apache.commons.jcs2 or whatever if you insist that
> org.apache.commons.jcs has been wasted on 2.0-beta-1.

I think we are good as is, keep org.apache.commons.jcs for beta2 and
eventually 2.0.

Gary

> However, I remain to be convinced that this is the right solution for a
> beta cycle.
>
> Bye, Thomas

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.0-beta-2 based on RC2

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Hi Oliver,

Posted by Oliver Heger <ol...@oliver-heger.de>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Time to tally?

Gary

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Johannes Weberhofer <jw...@weberhofer.at>.
+1 from my side.

When I build JCS on a NFS share, the following tests fail:

testWrite_128BlockElement(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.block.BlockDiskUnitTest)  Time elapsed: 0.015 sec  <<< FAILURE!
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Wrong number of blocks recorded. expected:<128> but was:<256>
	at org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.block.BlockDiskUnitTest.testWrite_128BlockElement(BlockDiskUnitTest.java:214)

testWrite_DoubleBlockElement(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.block.BlockDiskUnitTest)  Time elapsed: 0.002 sec  <<< FAILURE!
junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Wrong number of blocks recorded. expected:<2> but was:<4>
	at org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.block.BlockDiskUnitTest.testWrite_DoubleBlockElement(BlockDiskUnitTest.java:188)

java.sql.SQLException: Table already exists: JCS_STORE_MYSQL in statement [CREATE CACHED TABLE JCS_STORE_MYSQL]
	at org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.mysql.MySQLDiskCacheHsqlBackedUnitTest.setupDatabase(MySQLDiskCacheHsqlBackedUnitTest.java:65)

Running org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDataSourceFactoryUnitTest
Tests run: 3, Failures: 0, Errors: 0, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.11 sec - in org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDataSourceFactoryUnitTest
Running org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.315 sec <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest
testSimpleJDBCPutGetWithHSQL(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest)  Time elapsed: 0.281 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.sql.SQLException: Table already exists: JCS_STORE_0 in statement [CREATE CACHED TABLE JCS_STORE_0]
	at org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest.testSimpleJDBCPutGetWithHSQL(JDBCDiskCacheSharedPoolUnitTest.java:70)

Running org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest
Tests run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 2, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.396 sec <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest
testInitializePoolAccess_withPoolName(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest)  Time elapsed: 0.359 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.sql.SQLException: Table already exists: JCSTESTTABLE_INITIALIZEPOOLACCESS in statement [CREATE CACHED TABLE JCSTESTTABLE_InitializePoolAccess]
	at org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest.testInitializePoolAccess_withPoolName(JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest.java:203)

testSimpleJDBCPutGetWithHSQL(org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest)  Time elapsed: 0.001 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.sql.SQLException: Table already exists: JCS_STORE2 in statement [CREATE CACHED TABLE JCS_STORE2]
	at org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest.testSimpleJDBCPutGetWithHSQL(JDBCDiskCacheUnitTest.java:76)

Running org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheShrinkUnitTest
Tests run: 1, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 0.353 sec <<< FAILURE! - in org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheShrinkUnitTest
org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheShrinkUnitTest  Time elapsed: 0.353 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.sql.SQLException: Table already exists: JCS_STORE_SHRINK in statement [CREATE CACHED TABLE JCS_STORE_SHRINK]
	at org.apache.commons.jcs.auxiliary.disk.jdbc.JDBCDiskCacheShrinkUnitTest.setupDatabase(JDBCDiskCacheShrinkUnitTest.java:66)

Thank you!
Johannes

Am 01.11.2016 um 21:33 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
> +1, thanks Thomas
>

> Romain Manni-Bucau

>> I would like to beta-release the [jcs] component.
>> The issues found with RC1 have been addressed.
>>
>> Apache Commons JCS 2.0-beta-2 RC2 is available for review at:
>>   https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/ (r16762).
>>
>> Maven artifacts are at:
>>   https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1218
>> .
>>
>> The Subversion tag is:
>>

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/
>> commons-jcs-2.0-beta-2
>> (r1767436).
>>
>> The release notes are at:
>>

>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/jcs/tags/
>> commons-jcs-2.0-beta-2/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>> (r1767436).
>>
>> The staged site is available as a tarball at
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/jcs/commons-
>> jcs-site-2.0-beta-2.tar.gz
>> (r16762).
>>
>> Please review the release candidate and vote.
>>
>>   [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
>>   [ ] +0 OK, but...
>>   [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...
>>   [ ] -1 I oppose this release because...
>>
>> Bye, Thomas

Johannes Weberhofer
Weberhofer GmbH, Austria, Vienna

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.0-beta-2 based on RC2

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1, thanks Thomas

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

MD5, SHA-1, ASC OK. Everyone is reviewing these as well, right?

Everything builds OK, site and all. Each modules could use a better
description than "Apache Commons JCS is a distributed, versatile caching
system."

Gary

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
+1

Built from SVN tag, with `mvn clean test site site:stage`, in following environment:

Apache Maven 3.3.9 (bb52d8502b132ec0a5a3f4c09453c07478323dc5; 2015-11-11T05:41:47+13:00)
Maven home: /opt/maven
Java home: /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-oracle/jre
Default locale: en_NZ, platform encoding: UTF-8
OS name: "linux", version: "4.4.0-47-generic", arch: "amd64", family: "unix"

Builds fine, all tests passing. Reports in the local staging site look good, no blockers.

Release notes look good, link to upgrade from 1.x to 2.x is working too - and users should find it useful.

Signatures from jars in staging Maven repo look good too.

Thanks
Bruno

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache Commons JCS 2.0-beta-2 based on RC2

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
On 01.11.16 09:24, Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> I would like to beta-release the [jcs] component.

The following votes were cast (in order of appearance):

Romain Manni-Bucau: +1 (non binding)
Johannes Weberhofer: +1 (non-binding)
Gary Gregory: +1
Thomas Vandahl: +1
Bruno P. Kinoshita: +1

The vote has passed. Thanks to all the voters!

I'll proceed with the release procedure.

Bye, Thomas.