Posted to xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org by Kevin Krouse <kk...@bea.com> on 2004/06/18 00:27:21 UTC

JDK 1.3 port status and question

Just a quick update on how the jdk1.3 port is going:

I've reviewed all Matt Bishop's changes and they are good.  I've made a few changes to bring it up to the current v1 (soon to be 1.0.3) that is in CVS.  It's currently passing all the DRT tests.  I'm copying a few classes from commons-collections as replacements for LinkedHashMap and putting them into xmlbeans under common.  Since the xml apis aren't in JDK 1.3, we have a new dependancy on xerces's xml-api.jar and xercesImpl.jar.  I'll hand off my changes to Remy for him to check in real soon now.

I have a question for the community: would it be better to branch v1 for the port?  Or to add a new v1-jdk13 directory at the root of xmlbeans as a peer of v1 and v2?  Would that be less confusing for new users/devs or will it be harder to maintain?  I am no CVS wizard, but I remember that merging changes between branches can be difficult.  There has been some talk in Apache about using subversion instead of CVS.  Does that make branching/merging easier?

--k

Re: JDK 1.3 port status and question

Posted by Matt Bishop <mb...@infowave.com>.
Also, note that the 1.3 port is only for v1.

Re: JDK 1.3 port status and question

Posted by Matt Bishop <mb...@infowave.com>.

Posted by Matt Bishop <mb...@infowave.com>.
I think the code for JDK 1.3 should live on a branch rather than in a
separate dir.  Merging from the HEAD isn't that hard.  I'd be happy to
maintain the branch and keep it current with the HEAD.

Maybe we can create a separate JDK-13 distro.  Because the APIs are slightly
different, it would help to solidify the notion that the two are separate
and not meant to interoperate.

Re: JDK 1.3 port status and question