Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Sherwood <js...@rgisolutions.com> on 2007/09/07 15:03:31 UTC

[users@httpd] Load balance question

Hello,

We are trying to load balance our server for a certian number of hits and are using WebLOAD to test it. Currently it will only sustain a load of about 100(around 45 hits a second).

Our configuration:  Apache using modjk to 2 tomcats on 1 server. Anything over 100 and everything begins to slow, page cannot be displayed happen.  Even once the load stops a restart of apache and the tomcats are neccessary.

Questions:

1.  Is Apache itself only able to handle a certian number of connections or is it hardware(cpu/HD) based.

2.  What is the best way to loadbalance this?  (IE do we put tomcats on another server and use apache/modjk to load balance across 2 servers

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
--James

Re: [users@httpd] Load balance question

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 9/7/07, James Sherwood <js...@rgisolutions.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are trying to load balance our server for a certian number of hits and
> are using WebLOAD to test it. Currently it will only sustain a load of about
> 100(around 45 hits a second).
>
> Our configuration:  Apache using modjk to 2 tomcats on 1 server. Anything
> over 100 and everything begins to slow, page cannot be displayed happen.
> Even once the load stops a restart of apache and the tomcats are neccessary.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Is Apache itself only able to handle a certian number of connections or
> is it hardware(cpu/HD) based.
>
> 2.  What is the best way to loadbalance this?  (IE do we put tomcats on
> another server and use apache/modjk to load balance across 2 servers

You seem to be flailing in the dark a little there. All you know is
that things slow down under load. This means that some resource needed
by your setup is running out. First you need to figure out what that
resource is. Are you low on memory? Is CPU usage too high? Is disk
usage too high? Grab some of your basic system monitoring tools and
have a look. (Obviously we can't provide more guidance than that
because we have no idea what system you are running on or what are the
characteristics of your load.)

Joshua.