Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2004/09/05 06:40:23 UTC

General question regarding dependencies

Hi,

Guys I have a single class that a (maven) project depends on in commons-lang.  Generally I use commons-lang all over the place and think its great.  But what do I do if I only depend on ValuedEnum to have type safe enumerations?

Should I just copy the class like many commons projects do (referring to the what digester did with a particular collections class from commons-collections)?  Or should I just keep the dependency?  I don't mind the dependency especially when where i use this project's artifact usually includes commons-lang.

Alex

Re: General question regarding dependencies

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
From: "Alex Karasulu" <ao...@bellsouth.net>

> Guys I have a single class that a (maven) project depends on in
commons-lang.  Generally I use commons-lang all over the place and think its
great.  But what do I do if I only depend on ValuedEnum to have type safe
enumerations?

> Should I just copy the class like many commons projects do (referring to
the what digester did with a particular collections class from
commons-collections)?  Or should I just keep the dependency?  I don't mind
the dependency especially when where i use this project's artifact usually
includes commons-lang.

I would vote for the "keep the full dependency" option. Otherwise we are
risking some nasty surprises down the road when other classes are depended
upon as well.

Niclas

RE: General question regarding dependencies

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

IMO - If the class is used in a bootstrap scenario (i.e. you want to
keep thing a small as possible and minimize deps - then copy the class
(under a directory package name).  Otherwise maintain the dependency
reference.

Steve.