Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ilja <im...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/20 16:01:06 UTC

Looking for certain portlets

I tried to search the mailinglist, but with no avail. Couldn't find them
on the jetspeed website either.

I'm looking for portlets that can do the following:

- manage and subscribe to newsletters
- manage downloads
- publish news
- manage a FAQ
- manage links
- a searchengine that can search all these

Is this downloadable somewhere or do I have to develop them myself?

Regards,

Ilja

repost passing parameters to jsp

Posted by Krish Chandra <kr...@ERC.MsState.Edu>.
Does anyone know how to pass parameters to a jsp page within the registry
itself? i.e. in my portlets.xreg I have an IFramePortlet which has as its
source a jsp in another domain however this jsp needs to get the userName
from this domain. Any idea how I can do this. I have a userName session
Attribute set in my server.
thanks,
Krish.

passing parameters to jsp

Re: Looking for certain portlets

Posted by Stefan Kuhn <st...@uni-koeln.de>.
Am Monday 20 October 2003 17:27 schrieb Ilja:
> Hm,
>
> That's a major disappointment. I hoped Jetspeed would have these
> functionality, ie: a totally customizable website-out-of-the-box type of
> thing. Unfortunately not.

Hi Ilja,
I would argue that Jetspeed is a "totally customizable website-out-of-the-box
type of thing". It just does not have your applications. But I would think
quite a few elements are there. For example there's an RSS portlet, which can
be used for news.
I think it's not Jetspeed's purpose to give applications, but to integrate
them. So take any content managment system and you can easily integrate it.
Take any newsletter management software (I'm sure there are quite a few) and
integrate it. And so on. It's not Jetspeed's purpose to deliver applications.
HTH
Stefan

> Thanks for you quick and informative reply though,
>
> Regards,
>
> Ilja
>
> On 20 Oct 2003 10:52:31 -0400, "John Wubbel" <jo...@johnwubbel.com> said:
> > Ilja,
> >
> > You have to think about Jetspeed in terms of it being a framework to
> > integrate your requirements into it by learning about the capability of
> > the default portlets. The problem of content management always comes
> > upon us quickly. For example, we needed a portlet that would announce
> > company news. We solved it by installing Zope, we then added a Zope
> > Product called Squishddot, a Slashdot look alike and that gave us the
> > ability to author the announcement and publish it quickly. We used an
> > IFrame portlet to host the content and it really did not take that much
> > time to install, configure and test. We had only minor server side
> > development to support it.
> >
> > Thus, you will sometimes find it quicker to go outside of the Jetspeed
> > community to find a plug and play solution that can work in a portlet. I
> > doubt that you are going to find a ready made portlet that will give you
> > instant news publishing. But, if you spend a little time researching,
> > you might come up with a combination that will work such as Zope, Silva
> > Product and the Silva News Extension that might work nicely. I know for
> > myself I had to learn about the different portlet frameworks available
> > first.
> >
> > Good Luck.
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 10:01, Ilja wrote:
> > > I tried to search the mailinglist, but with no avail. Couldn't find
> > > them on the jetspeed website either.
> > >
> > > I'm looking for portlets that can do the following:
> > >
> > > - manage and subscribe to newsletters
> > > - manage downloads
> > > - publish news
> > > - manage a FAQ
> > > - manage links
> > > - a searchengine that can search all these
> > >
> > > Is this downloadable somewhere or do I have to develop them myself?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Ilja

Stefan Kuhn M. A.
Cologne University BioInformatics Center (http://www.cubic.uni-koeln.de)
Zülpicher Str. 47, 50674 Cologne
Tel: +49(0)221-470-7428   Fax: +49 (0) 221-470-7786
My public PGP key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu

Re: Looking for certain portlets

Posted by Ilja <im...@hotmail.com>.
Hm,