Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Tobias Neef <to...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/06 13:36:10 UTC

Using 0.9 for a new project?

Hi,

was not sure if I should use the user or the dev mailinglist but I
hope this one is fine because the question is regarding the current
development version.

I want to start a new project and consider Forrest as a tool to
document instances of our reference architecture that we use in
various projects. The question now is, if I should go with 0.9dev or
if I should start with 0.8 and upgrade sometime in the future.

In general I like to participate as much as possible from future
Cocoon developments, also the 1.5/1.6 Java compatibility is a pro for
the 0.9 version. I haven't used Forrest prior to this so I rely on
your help.

- Is the 0.9 version stable enough to be used?
- Is there a release timeframe for the "stable" 0.9 version?
- What is the upgrade path between 0.8 to 0.9?

Thank you in advance.
Tobias

Re: Using 0.9 for a new project?

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 06/04/2010 12:36, Tobias Neef wrote:

> In general I like to participate as much as possible from future
> Cocoon developments, also the 1.5/1.6 Java compatibility is a pro for
> the 0.9 version. I haven't used Forrest prior to this so I rely on
> your help.
>
> - Is the 0.9 version stable enough to be used?
Hi Tobias,

There are quite a few sites using Forrest 0.9-dev in production. It is
stable. In fact, it should really have been released some time ago.

Of course, like all development versions there can be hiccups. The
dispatcher is still not fully stable as we found in a recent merge of
the dispatcher branch.

The main problem with using 0.9-dev in production right now is the lack
of active development that it is undergoing. There are still quite a few
of the old devs around (like me for example), but in most cases we are
not too active on Forrest. However, you will find your queries answered
and pointers provided, so you will not be on your own.

> - Is there a release timeframe for the "stable" 0.9 version?

There isn't want really. As I mention above, 0.9 is well overdue a
release. There is a little housework to be done, but it is pretty much
ready to go.

> - What is the upgrade path between 0.8 to 0.9?

see http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_90/upgrading_09.html

In summary I would say that since you indicate that you want to get
invovled with development now is a perfect time for Forrest. There are
enough old hands still around to help you solve the problems whilst
there is plenty of scope for you to achieve whatever you need to achieve
for your project.

Ross