Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2006/08/24 23:51:10 UTC

CI setup and publishing snapshots (Re: Update version to SNAPSHOT)

On Aug 24, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

> David-
>
>> I added it in (that's the easy part).  See http://
>> vmbuild.apache.org/continuum/servlet/continuum
>>
>> That machine is terribly slow....
>
> I notice that there is both a "OpenJPA" and a "OpenJPA Project"
> build configured in continuum, and "OpenJPA" doesn't seem to
> actually be building anything. Was this intended?

In continuum, you only need to add the root pom.xml (parent pom.xml)
and it will set up that project and all the subprojects (child
pom.xmls) for you.  You need the parent pom.xml to build any of the
children, so you definitely want that in there.

As an FYI, the names come from each pom.xml file's "<name>" element
as you probably figured out.  You may want to adopt the convention of
prefixing "OpenJPA" in all your name elements, such as "OpenJPA ::
JDBC", just so they all show up next to each other (for example "XML
Store" is way down on the page).  Whatever you prefer is fine.

Also as Patrick has said a couple times, you'd like to get a TeamCity
server setup, cool.  Just say "when" and I'll yank it from the
continuum setup.

>> The tricky part with any CI system is the whole question of "Gee,
>> what credentials do we use to deploy snapshots?"
>
> If the snapshot deploy directory /x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-
> snapshot-repository/org/apache/openjpa/ is available from the
> continuum server, I might be able to override the
> snapshotRepository to deploy straight to that directly, in which
> case we'd have automatic deployment of the snapshot (would would be
> very handy). Does that sound plausible to you?

It would be perfect.  Unfortunately, it's running in a solaris zone
on a completely different box :(

-David

> On Aug 23, 2006, at 10:41 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>

>> On Aug 23, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Bryan Noll wrote:
>>
>>> So... I saw that David created the following two JIRA's, so I
>>> wanted to follow up on the thread.
>>>
>>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-29
>>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-30
>>>

>>> Regarding OPENJPA-29:
>>>
>>> openjpa-0.9.0-full.jar   // contains all openjpa code, openjpa-
>>> *.jars merged
>>> openjpa-0.9.0-nodep.jar  // contains all openjpa code and all
>>> third party dependency jars
>>>
>>> Do you have your descriptions backwards or am I misunderstanding
>>> what you're saying?
>>
>> I very well could have them backwards.  As I said, "There's a
>> naming convention for this kind of thing, hope I've got it right."
>>
>>> Seems like 'nodep' would mean "no dependencies for this project
>>> are bundled into this jar" to me.
>>> IIUC (which I'm not sure that I do, so please correct me) then...
>>>
>>> openjpa-0.9.0-nodep.jar would extract to:
>>> - org/apache/openjpa/*/**.class
>>> - META-INF/*  ............ (we still need to resolve the 'merge
>>> multiple files of the same name and locations (eg..
>>> ProductDerivations) problem for this)
>>>
>>> openjpa-0.9.0-full.jar would extract to:
>>> - org/apache/openjpa/*/**.class
>>> - thirdPartyJars.jar (many of these)
>>> - META-INF/* .......... (same issue as above)
>>
>> The classes from the third party jars would also have been
>> extracted into the jar.
>>
>>> Would the openjpa-*.jar files be there instead of the unpacked
>>> classes?
>>
>> Classes.
>>
>>> Should the names actually be openjpa-nodep-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar and
>>> openjpa-full-0.9.0-SNAPSHOT.jar?
>>
>> That'd be possible.  You'd have to have one maven module for each
>> jar and poke at the assembly plugin setup to not use the default
>> name of <artifactId>-<version>-<assemblyName>.<archiveType>.  The
>> maven guys may know a better way.
>>

>>> Regarding OPENJPA-30:
>>>
>>> - I saw that Marc got the newly named SNAPSHOT jars up to a
>>> repo.... good stuff.
>>
>> Yep.  Thanks again, Marc!  Very appreciated!
>>
>>> - The next step would have one jar somewhere like http://
>>> people.apache.org/repo/m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/openjpa/
>>> openjpa/0.9.0-SNAPSHOT/ for people to depend on, instead of many,

Re: CI setup and publishing snapshots (Re: Update version to SNAPSHOT)

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 28, 2006, at 10:14 AM, Marc Prud'hommeaux wrote:

>>> If the snapshot deploy directory /x1/www/people.apache.org/repo/
>>> m2-snapshot-repository/org/apache/openjpa/ is available from the
>>> continuum server, I might be able to override the
>>> snapshotRepository to deploy straight to that directly, in which
>>> case we'd have automatic deployment of the snapshot (would would
>>> be very handy). Does that sound plausible to you?
>>
>> It would be perfect.  Unfortunately, it's running in a solaris
>> zone on a completely different box :(
>
> That's too bad. To anyone's knowledge, has anyone accomplished
> automatic nightly deployment of snapshots to the Apache snapshot
> repository, or is it always a manual process?

Not to my knowledge for m2.  With m1 it was easier as there were no
"index" files that you had to update on every deploy.  You could just
rsync and add/update a bunch of jars with no issue.

I'd like to see this solved too.

As an interim solution, continuum itself can be used as a maven2
repository.  People would just have to add this to their pom:

     <repository>
       <id>continuum-m2-snapshot</id>
       <name>Continuum Snapshot Repository</name>
       <url>http://vmbuild.apache.org/continuum/repository</url>
     </repository>

-David

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.