Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Johnson, S" <sj...@edina.k12.mn.us> on 2007/12/04 17:05:04 UTC

Duplicate header question

I just upgraded my Spamassassin/postfix/amavisd/sqlgrey to the current
version and now have a few users from MSN and Yahoo reporting an error
similar to this:

554 5.6.0 Reject, is=26786-18 - Bad_Header: Duplicate header field:
"Message-ID"

This nondelivery report was generated by the program amavisd-new at host
mail.maildomain.com. Our internal reference code for your message is
26786-18/vvPdH275wGUz

Subject: Presentations

Duplicate Header Field

Can anyone tell me what could be going on here?

 Thanks much.

Re: Duplicate header question

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 08:05 AM 12/4/2007, Johnson, S wrote:
>I just upgraded my
>Spamassassin/postfix/amavisd/sqlgrey to the
>current version and now have a few users from
>MSN and Yahoo reporting an error similar to this:
>
>554 5.6.0 Reject, is=26786-18 – Bad_Header:
>Duplicate header field: “Message-ID”
>This nondelivery report was generated by the
>program amavisd-new at host mail.maildomain.com.
>Our internal reference code for your message is 26786-18/vvPdH275wGUz
>Subject: Presentations
>Duplicate Header Field
>

>Can anyone tell me what could be going on here?

That message was generated by amavisd, so you'd
probably have more luck asking in a group for them if no one here can help.

RE: Duplicate header question

Posted by "Johnson, S" <sj...@edina.k12.mn.us>.
That was it.  Thanks much

Re: Duplicate header question

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
On Tuesday 04 December 2007 17:05:04 Johnson, S wrote:
> 554 5.6.0 Reject, is=26786-18 - Bad_Header: Duplicate header field:
>   "Message-ID"
>
> This nondelivery report was generated by the program amavisd-new at host
> mail.maildomain.com. Our internal reference code for your message is
> 26786-18/vvPdH275wGUz

> Can anyone tell me what could be going on here?

1. the message received by amavisd had two or more instances of a
   Message-ID header field, and this is in violation with RFC 2822;
   Whether this is a cause for a bounce/rejection/notification is
   a matter of policy. If it was one of your own domain's MUAs which
   produced such mail it should be fixed or replaced.

2. amavisd was configured to reject or bounce a message with a
   bad header. This is not a default setting, and there is usually
   no good reason to reject such messages. If a message is coming
   from inside, consider sending the sender a notification.
   I'd suggest to keep $final_bad_header_destiny at a default
   setting of D_PASS.

Mark

Re: Duplicate header question

Posted by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net>.
Johnson, S wrote:
> I just upgraded my Spamassassin/postfix/amavisd/sqlgrey to the current
> version and now have a few users from MSN and Yahoo reporting an error
> similar to this:
>

> 554 5.6.0 Reject, is=26786-18 - Bad_Header: Duplicate header field:
> "Message-ID"
>
> This nondelivery report was generated by the program amavisd-new at host
> mail.maildomain.com. Our internal reference code for your message is
> 26786-18/vvPdH275wGUz

> Subject: Presentations
>
> Duplicate Header Field
>

> Can anyone tell me what could be going on here?

your amavisd-new is configured to reject mail with bad headers. as you
see, this block legitimate mail.

note that since your amavisd-new is sending bounces, you are a potential
backscatter source. do not bounce mail after it was accepted by one of
your servers. once mail is accepted, either deliver, quarantine or
discard. discarding is bad, but bouncing is evil.