Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Vovsi <ma...@vovsi.com> on 2002/09/20 05:47:03 UTC

installing and running tomcat 4.1 on linux

Hi all,

I've installed and used Tomcat on Windows for a couple of years now with
no problems, but now I'm trying to run Tomcat on Linux and really have
no clue as to what to do. I'm a Linux newbie. I've installed Tomcat on
my box using the RPM manager, and don't really know what to do next. The
tomcat4 user was created, but I can't located the startup.sh files.
Where am I supposed to look? To my surprise I couldn't find
documentation anywhere on how to run Tomcat 4.1 on Linux. I'm using
jdk1.4. Thanks in advance.

Re: installing and running tomcat 4.1 on linux

Posted by Kwok Peng Tuck <pe...@makmal.com>.
Yeah, there is a start up script in /etc/init.d/ , but on some systems
it doesn't add itself using chkconfig.
You can check if it has done so using /sbin/chkconfig --list | more
Look for tomcat4.
If you want it to autostart during bootup,  do this /sbin/chkconfig
--add tomcat4
then start it for runlevel 3,4,5 using : /sbin/chkconfig --345 tomcat4 on
This make sure tomcat starts up at the runlevels. I'm not sure if run
level 2 should be included but it works for me.
0,1,6 is reserved.
I can't  remember where tomcat dumped its stuff, but you can take a look
at /etc/init.d/tomcat4 to see where it is the binaries are located.
Good luck

Posted by Ben Walding <be...@walding.com>.