Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com> on 2016/11/04 13:35:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] OpenWhisk Proposal

Hi all

I have made some additions to the OpenWhisk Proposal [1]:

 - restructured the API Gateway references: It is expected
   that the API Gateway will be refactored with additional
   code donated by IBM during incubation.
 - added a note on the API Gateway’s dependency on OpenSSL
 - added a note on Trademarks IBM is currently pursuing and
   intends to transfer to ASF
 - fixed some typos

With these changes and no discussions over the course of the recent weeks, I would propose we could could vote for OpenWhisk to become an incubating project over the course of next weeks.

Of course we are still open to welcome interested people to become initial committers to OpenWhisk Servlerless Runtime and API Gateway !

WDYT ?

Regards
Felix

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenWhiskProposal

Re: [DISCUSS] OpenWhisk Proposal

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi Edward

Absolutely. Thanks for adding yourself.

Regards
Felix

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
Awesome. Let me in.

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Perfect, already added to the wiki.
Thanks, Felix.

--
w: http://redlink.co

Re: [DISCUSS] OpenWhisk Proposal

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi Sergio

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Felix,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I spoke with Greg very briefly about the situation with OpenWhisk.  He
pointed out a couple of things to me.

- He presented essentially an either/or situation to the podling,
essentially either you can stay on your existing and wait to graduate when
ASF can handle github as master, or use what the ASF can provide as of
now.  At least this is how I understood it.

- github as master is on infra's radar, but it has no ETA at this point.
There are on going private discussions around it.  As well as the git-dual
solution.

There's an interesting twist.  It has to do with the distributed nature of
git.  While searching through documents online, there's only one place that
mentions using an ASF managed repository as the "canonical" repository.  I
mention this, mostly because in SVN and CVS days this was a non-issue, you
could check stuff out, but never have to worry about multiple copies
floating around.

Anyways, here's the doc from 4 years ago:
https://www.apache.org/dev/writable-git
I'll note that the release process docs make no such claim:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html

I suspect that this is a case of "the docs are out of date" and what's
there from 4 years ago is still true today.  So at this point, we would
require a policy change (from my POV) to even review a release from a
podling that was not hosted by ASF.

John

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Ah, I didnt know ASF infra is ok to let Github as main source repo for a
podling.

I stand corrected.

- Henry

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.