Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Tatum <sc...@wcom.com> on 2001/04/25 18:20:54 UTC

I am writing detailed documentation on virtual hosting...

It seems like half the questions posted these days to the mailing list
have something to do with virtual hosting. The existing documentation
covers most of the bases, but it is spread across several documents and
contains outdated information that is confusing (e.g. mod_jserv).

Therefore, I am in the process of writing detailed documentation on
setting up virtual hosting. The documentation right now has a few
limitations:

1. Only Tomcat 3.2.x will be discussed. There is no production version
of Tomcat 4, and everyone using Tomcat 3 should be using the latest
version.
2. Only mod_jk will be discussed. Everyone who is setting up Tomcat now
should be using mod_jk - I see no reason to discuss mod_jserv.
3. Setup is only for a unix environment. I don't currently have any
experience setting up Tomcat in a Windows environment, though setting up
Tomcat standalone should be almost identical.
4. Only webserver integration discussed is with Apache. This is the only
webserver I have experience integrating Tomcat with. I would do some
testing with IIS but I don't have access to it. If someone else would be
willing to provide similar documentation for IIS and/or iPlanet
integration, that would be great!

Below is an initial outline for the document. The documentation will of
course be in HTML, and I will try to mimic the formatting style of the
existing documentation. I welcome suggestions for
changes/additions/enhancements to this outline - I came up with it very
quickly. Once I get some feedback from this I will begin writing the
documentation, hopefully within in the next couple of days.

Virtual Hosting and Tomcat

1. Introduction
2. Virtual Hosting Options
2.1 Tomcat Standalone
2.2 Tomcat with Apache
2.2.1 Apache + Single Tomcat Instance
2.2.2 Apache + Multiple Tomcat Instances
2.4 AJP12 vs. AJP13
2.5 General Do's and Dont's
3. Configuring Tomcat Standalone
3.1 Configuration Files Involved
3.2 Modifying server.xml
4. Configuring Tomcat + Single Tomcat Instance
4.1 Configuration Files Involved
4.2 Configuring server.xml
4.3 Configuring workers.properties
4.4 Configuring uriworkermap.properties
4.5 Configuring mod_jk.conf
4.6 Testing and Troubleshooting
5. Configuring Tomcat + Multiple Tomcat Instances
4.1 Configuration Files Involved
4.2 Creating and Configuring Separate server.xml Files
4.3 Configuring workers.properties
4.4 Configuring uriworkermap.properties
4.5 Configuring mod_jk.conf
4.6 Testing and Troubleshooting

-Scott

--
Scott Tatum | scott.tatum@wcom.com
Senior Applications Developer, Special Projects

Re: I am writing detailed documentation on virtual hosting...

Posted by Scott Tatum <sc...@wcom.com>.
I already thought of something that I left out of the outline, and that is a
section full of EXAMPLES. Multiple examples for each way that Tomcat can be
configured for virtual hosts.

-Scott

Posted by Jeff Kilbride <je...@kilbride.com>.
Hi Scott,

You might be interested in contributing to the Tomcat book discussion going
on in a separate yahoo group. We have setup tcbook@yahoogroups.com as our
forum. Your post would generate a lot of interest there.

Thanks,
--jeff