Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jeff Jensen <je...@nospam.visi.com> on 2005/05/07 21:36:55 UTC

How to update a plugin to use latest product version?

Hi,

There are a number of plugins to "regen" with their respective product
latest releases (e.g. Checkstyle 4.0 beta, PMD, etc).

I am interested in the process for doing so, to use locally.  I would also
like to contribute the updated plugins somehow (submit to ibiblio?) for
others to use too.

The archives have many posts on "automatically having Maven get the latest",
but those plugins must exist first.

I don't know if the new versions already exist, and don't know how to use
them if they do.  For example, I've seen some "checkstyle beta 4" jar files
on ibiblio when traversing directories, but not sure what to do with them
yet!  Is there some config to do to get Maven to download them?  I tried
some settings, but the attempted URL never worked/was correct.

Until in the official repo, I think the worst case to use a newly generated
one is doing something like this:

<preGoal name="build:start">
    <j:set var="groupId" value="(group)" />
    <j:set var="artifactId" value="maven-(name)-plugin" />
    <j:set var="version" value="(version)" />
    <attainGoal name="plugin:download-artifact" />
    <maven:installPlugin
file="${maven.repo.local}/${groupId}/plugins/${artifactId}-${version}.jar"
cache="true" />
</preGoal>

That is no biggie.

I'm relatively new to the Maven repository "investigations" and doing
anything other than accepting the plugins that download automatically.  So
any advice/howto/links to stuff to read/etc. very welcomed!  TIA

Re: How to update a plugin to use latest product version?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
On 5/8/05, Jeff Jensen <je...@nospam.visi.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are a number of plugins to "regen" with their respective product
> latest releases (e.g. Checkstyle 4.0 beta, PMD, etc).

It involves updating the dependencies on those in the Maven SVN tree,
then testing, fixing bugs, and exposing new features that aren't
available just by upgrading the version.

You can file issues in JIRA with patches for these changes.

A release would be made from the Maven.

Maven 1.x doesn't have automatic updates. That work is in progress for
Maven 2.0, however.

HTH,
Brett