Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Chris Croome <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk> on 2003/02/13 23:35:24 UTC

Problem building subversion RPM

Hi

<warning type="newbie alert">

  This is my first day playing with subversion and I'm probably doing
  something daft, but I have searched for an answer on Google...

</warning>

I'm running a minimal RedHat 8.0 server and I have installed
Subversion from RPMS and I have created a repository and things
*seem* to be working OK so far...

I have checked out the latest code:

  $ /usr/bin/svn checkout http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk svn

I have followed the instructions for building an RPM from the code
and things go OK till the very end where I get this message:

  libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib'
  subversion/svnversion/svnversion . /repos/svn/trunk > /home/chris/rpms/tmp/subversion-0.17.1-4884/usr/include/subversion-1/svn-revision.txt
  svn: No such file or directory
  svn: svn_io_file_open: can't open `.svn/entries'
  make[1]: *** [revision-install] Error 1
  make[1]: Leaving directory
  `/home/chris/rpms/build/subversion-0.17.1'
  error: Bad exit status from /home/chris/rpms/tmp/rpm-tmp.11400
  (%install)

  RPM build errors:
      Bad exit status from /home/chris/rpms/tmp/rpm-tmp.11400
  (%install)
  make: *** [build_rpm_files] Error 1

I have tried chmod 664'ing `.svn/entries' and running make again but
it makes no difference.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

--
Chris Croome                               <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk>
everything else                               http://chris.croome.net/

Re: Problem building subversion RPM

Posted by Chris Croome <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk>.
Hi

On Fri 14-Feb-2003 at 01:23:55PM +0000, Philip Martin wrote:

> Test results are written to a file called tests.log, but I think I
> fixed the problem in r4892 :)

Yep, I have upst updated to 4898 and built an rpm from it without a
problem :-)

Chris

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Chris Croome <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk>.
Hi

On Fri 14-Feb-2003 at 01:36:22AM +0000, Philip Martin wrote:
> Chris Croome <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk> writes:
>
> > I have followed the instructions for building an RPM from the code
> > and things go OK till the very end where I get this message:
> >
> >   libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish /usr/lib'
> >   subversion/svnversion/svnversion . /repos/svn/trunk > /home/chris/rpms/tmp/subversion-0.17.1-4884/usr/include/subversion-1/svn-revision.txt
> >   svn: No such file or directory
> >   svn: svn_io_file_open: can't open `.svn/entries'
>
> That looks like a bug, "." must be a directory and if there is no
> ".svn" directory then svnversion should print "exported".  Very odd,
> there's a regression test for the behaviour, did the tests pass or
> fail?

I think one test might have failed but my Xterm history is too short
and I can't cut and paste the message since it's scrolled of the
top, is this stuff written to a file at all or should I run make
again with a bigger history?

Chris

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Chris Croome <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk>.
Hi

On Sun 16-Feb-2003 at 04:34:43PM -0600, David Summers wrote:

> Is anyone else seeing this problem?

Last week I built RPMs without a problem on a RedHat 8.0 box after
updating to version 4898 without a problem.

Chris

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On 16 Feb 2003, Philip Martin wrote:

> Date: 16 Feb 2003 23:07:33 +0000
> From: Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>
> To: dev@subversion.tigris.org
> Subject: Re: Problem building subversion RPM
>
> David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us> writes:
>
> > It still "hangs" when it reaches the externals_tests.
> >
> > What can I do to help provide debugging information?
>
> Identify which command is hanging.  Attach gdb to the processes (use
> gdb -p) and get a backtrace.  Try running some other command, say "svn
> ls URL", on the repository to determine if there is a BDB problem.
>
> > Is anyone else seeing this problem?
>
> I run the tests over ra_dav, ra_svn and ra_local without a problem.
>
> > I'm running on both RedHat 7.3 and 8.0 with the same results.
>
> x86 SMP Linux, Debian/stable, glibc-2.2.5, CVS APR from Jan 24.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if I'm seeing an issue with SMP or something on RedHat
7.x and 8.0.  All the versions I've been compiling for the last few months
have been on SMP machines.

I'll try to get that GDB backtrace to you sometime within the next several
days.

I'll also try compiling on a non-SMP machine and see what happens.

    Thanks!

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: Problem building subversion RPM

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
Hey, rev 4950 just built and tested for me on RedHat 8.0 SMP!  That's the
first time I've been able to build and test in about a week!

I bet it was something to do with the SVNSERVE changes today....

   Thanks guys!

   - David

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On 16 Feb 2003, Philip Martin wrote:

> David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us> writes:
>
> > Sorry, I've not submitted any patches for the RPM since the
> > svn-revision.txt went in because I can't get "make check" to pass on
> > svnserve, it's been hanging on the externals test.
>
> Does Eric Gillespie's patch
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apr-dev&m=104339710811531&w=2
>
> fix the problem?

I just tried it and it does NOT seem to fix the problem.  It still "hangs"

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
Sorry, I've not submitted any patches for the RPM since the
svn-revision.txt went in because I can't get "make check" to pass on
svnserve, it's been hanging on the externals test.

Basically the issue is that the Makefile is assuming that the build
directory is a working copy directory which is not true for the RPM.
So when it tries to run svnversion it bombs.

However, I'll go ahead and check in my patches that I've got as at least
that will let more eyes look at the problem....as it is the RPM won't
build at all.

With my patches I've got in my working copy it will at least build (though
not yet pass "make check"...and you can turn that option off).

I'll try to post the changes here in a bit.

   - David Summers