Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/24 22:52:35 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA-DUCC 1.0.0 RC10

Hi,

the tenth release candidate of the sandbox project Apache UIMA DUCC v1.0.0
is ready for voting.

Issues fixed in RC10:

1) Changed ducc.properties to disable cgroups by default

DUCC stands for Distributed UIMA Cluster Computing. DUCC is a cluster
management system providing tooling, management, and scheduling facilities
to automate the scale-out of applications written to the UIMA framework.
Core UIMA provides a generalized framework for applications that process
unstructured information such as human language, but does not provide a
scale-out mechanism. UIMA-AS provides a scale-out mechanism to distribute
UIMA pipelines over a cluster of computing resources, but does not provide
job or cluster management of the resources. DUCC defines a formal job model
that closely maps to a standard UIMA pipeline. Around this job model DUCC
provides cluster management services to automate the scale-out of UIMA
pipelines over computing clusters.

The Maven artifacts are here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1005/org/apache/uima/

The source and binary zip/tars are here:
http://people.apache.org/~cwiklik/releases/uima-ducc/1.0.0/RC10/

The SVN Tag Checkout:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/sandbox/uima-ducc/tags/uima-ducc-1.0.0/

See: http://uima.apache.org/testing-builds.html for instructions how to
test release candidate.

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA-DUCC 1.0.0 RC10

Posted by Eddie Epstein <ea...@gmail.com>.
- downloaded RC10 binary tarball to standalone 8GB thinkpad running RHEL 6.4
- followed directions from INSTALL file for single-user install and
verification
- followed directions for multi-user install with webserver login and
verified with 1.job submitted from non-ducc user. Found webserver problem
displaying "Files" in the job details page. More on this below (*).
- followed directions from duccbook.html, chapter 9 to install opennlp and
run text processing sample
- ran CAS input processing sample from chapter 10
- setup java_viaducc as per chapter 3.13 and ran hello world type program.
Process ran fine, but webserver again could not display "Files" or
"Specification" from reservation details page. See (**).

(*) Directory permissions for non-ducc user are configured to not allow
read access by user "ducc". In this situation the webserver will not be
able to display job details from user log files, unless authenticated to
the webserver as the user with read permission. After logging into the
webserver, all job details were accessible except for "Files" tab.

(**) Similar problem as with Job details. Log file OK, but nothing shown in
"Files" or "Specification" tabs.

All these details are available to users as human readable files in their
filesystem. Another workaround available, if it is OK for cluster users to
see each others logfiles, is simply to give user "ducc" read access to the
user log directories and files there. Therefor I do not consider this a
blocker for first release.

+1 OK to release

Eddie

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA-DUCC 1.0.0 RC10

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
Downloaded binary tarball
verified  md5sum
installed on our small test cluster
ran a try3 consisting of 30 jobs & APs

[X] +1 OK to release

Posted by Lou DeGenaro <lo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jaroslaw Cwiklik <ui...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Challenger <ch...@gmail.com>.
Did by-the-book installation and ran all system verification test, no
problems.
    +1

Details:
- download RC9 and untar - OK
- move build to ducc_runtime - OK
- run ducc_post_install - OK
- run start_ducc
     everything initializes correctly for first-time start - OK
- check webserver - everything is there - OK
- cd to ducc_runtime/examples/simple, ducc_submit 1.job - OK
- follow 1.job on webserver - runs find - OK
- check webserver links - all seem to be - OK
- check duccbook from webserver -OK
- insure javadoc works from duccbook link on webserver - OK
- run stop_ducc - insure everything stops OK including broker - OK
- establish multi-node configurarion (8 48G nodes, 1 40G node, 4 32G nodes)
     (Note to reproduce the rest of this test you configuration a
comparable physical configuration)
     - run check_ducc  to verify corret config - OK
     - rerun 1.job - OK
- set up large scale verification
      cd examples/systemtest and ./prepare mega-15-min/jobs.prepare - OK
    - run first 'mega': ./runducc -d mega-15-min/job.ctl -i1 -r1 - OK
    - run second 'mega': ./runducc -d mega-15-min/job.ctl -i1 -r1 --DD - OK
    - run third 'mega': ./runducc -d mega-15-min/job.ctl -i1 -r1 --SE
service.boot OK
         All services registered OK
      Services configured to start started OK
         Everything runs to completion - OK
         Reference-started services started and stopped properly - OK
         All services deleted at end OK
- ran stop_ducc - all nodes and still-running jobs exited.  OK
- establish simulation environment and run startsim (52 simulated nodes
     of various sizes 32G-256G over 6 real 48G nodes) -  OK
- return large-scale verfification  - OK
    - run first 'mega': ./runducc -d mega-15-min/job.ctl -i1 -r1 - OK
    - run second 'mega': ./runducc -d mega-15-min/job.ctl -i1 -r1 --DD - OK
    - run third 'mega': ./runducc -d mega-15-min/job.ctl -i1 -r1 --SE
service.boot - OK
- stopsim to stop the simulator - OK