Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Grigory Petrov <gr...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/11 20:31:57 UTC

What is a "baton" from subversion sources?

Hello.

I'm learning subversion API right now and examining it's source code and
examples. It's a lot of things in subversion source code that is called
a "baton". For example, svn_cmdline_create_auth_baton() create "auth
baton", and callbacks takes callback function pointer and, again,
batons. I never heard of a term "baton" related to the programming. That
is the "baton" concept subversion source code refers to? Maybe i can
read somewhere about "batons" used in programming? Or is it a well-known
term of some origin?

Best,
Grigory.

RE: What is a "baton" from subversion sources?

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> I'm learning subversion API right now and examining it's source
> code and
> examples. It's a lot of things in subversion source code that is
> called
> a "baton". For example, svn_cmdline_create_auth_baton() create
> "auth
> baton", and callbacks takes callback function pointer and, again,
> batons. I never heard of a term "baton" related to the programming.
> That
> is the "baton" concept subversion source code refers to? Maybe i
> can
> read somewhere about "batons" used in programming? Or is it a well-
> known
> term of some origin?

I don't know the svn code at all... but I expect it is analogous to a baton that relay race team uses. The first person starts running with the baton... he runs his leg and passes the baton to the next runner on the team... who takes it through his part of the course.

So, I would expect that a baton is some symbol or reference to an object that is passed from one function to another and each function performs its responsibility modifying the baton or possible using information stored in the baton.

BOb

Re: What is a "baton" from subversion sources?

Posted by vishwajeet singh <de...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Grigory Petrov <gr...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm learning subversion API right now and examining it's source code and
> examples. It's a lot of things in subversion source code that is called a
> "baton". For example, svn_cmdline_create_auth_baton() create "auth baton",
> and callbacks takes callback function pointer and, again, batons. I never
> heard of a term "baton" related to the programming. That is the "baton"
> concept subversion source code refers to? Maybe i can read somewhere about
> "batons" used in programming? Or is it a well-known term of some origin?

Probably dev list will be better place to ask such questions.

--
Vishwajeet Singh
+91-9657702154 | dextrous85@gmail.com | http://bootstraptoday.com

Re: What is a "baton" from subversion sources?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 11, 2011, at 13:31, Grigory Petrov wrote:

> I'm learning subversion API right now and examining it's source code and examples. It's a lot of things in subversion source code that is called a "baton". For example, svn_cmdline_create_auth_baton() create "auth baton", and callbacks takes callback function pointer and, again, batons. I never heard of a term "baton" related to the programming. That is the "baton" concept subversion source code refers to? Maybe i can read somewhere about "batons" used in programming? Or is it a well-known term of some origin?

Google search for "subversion baton" gives:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2002-07/0396.shtml