Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Julien Martin <ba...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/16 23:03:09 UTC

Odd behavior observed on Eclipse's tomcat: added webapp silently ignored...

Hello,

After adding a webapp (war) to my Eclipse's Tomcat (7.0.34), I
unfortunately noticed that tomcat does add it to the server but doesn't
attempt to deploy it!!

The only suspicious log was the following one:

*ATTENTION: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting
property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:kadjoukor' did not find a
matching property*
*
*
FYI, this started occuring after I added the latest tomcat server (7.0.34)
to eclipse. Also my app is called *kadkjoukor*.

Can anyone please help?

Regards,

Julien.
*
*

Re: Odd behavior observed on Eclipse's tomcat: added webapp silently ignored...

Posted by Pid * <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 16 Dec 2012, at 22:03, Julien Martin <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After adding a webapp (war) to my Eclipse's Tomcat (7.0.34), I
> unfortunately noticed that tomcat does add it to the server but doesn't
> attempt to deploy it!!
>
> The only suspicious log was the following one:
>
> *ATTENTION: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting
> property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:kadjoukor' did not find a
> matching property*

It is not a problem, it's just a warning.

Eclipse adds this property to Context elements for its own purposes.

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Dec 16, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Julien Martin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After adding a webapp (war) to my Eclipse's Tomcat (7.0.34), I
> unfortunately noticed that tomcat does add it to the server but doesn't
> attempt to deploy it!!

Hard to say what's going on here, with the given info.  Couple suggestions...

1.) Try generating a WAR file and deploying it outside of Eclipse?  If this works, the you know the problem is with your Eclipse setup.
2.) Try creating a simple test WAR with a "Hello World" servlet and deploy that.  Does it work?

> The only suspicious log was the following one:
>
> *ATTENTION: [SetPropertiesRule]{Server/Service/Engine/Host/Context} Setting
> property 'source' to 'org.eclipse.jst.jee.server:kadjoukor' did not find a
> matching property*

I don't think this will prevent your application from starting.  It's simply saying that you have a Context element that has an attribute "source", however "source" is not a valid attribute for the Context element.  To correct this, locate the Context element that has this attribute and remove it.

For a list of valid properties, see the docs here.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html

> *
> *
> FYI, this started occuring after I added the latest tomcat server (7.0.34)
> to eclipse. Also my app is called *kadkjoukor*.

It's likely that the previous version you were using did not check for invalid attributes.  Older versions of Tocmat just ignored invalid attributes.

Dan