Posted to dev@spot.apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org> on 2023/03/02 10:17:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] Retire the Spot project?

Hello Spot team,

cc/ general@

I am currently checking various podlings and have seen no activity in Spot for a long time.

Several roll calls were made, like this one:
https://lists.apache.org/list?private@spot.apache.org:2022-10
(private list)

Although the contributor list is huge, nothing has changed since then. To me, it looks like nobody has the time to maintain the project.

I want to bring up the idea of retirement again. It would mean Spot would no longer be in the incubator but could return to the incubator when there is a community.

Retirement does not mean the code is locked up and archived forever. The Spot team can still work on it on platforms like Github.

On the other hand, you don't need to report anymore; of course, you don't have strict ASF release rules. This makes it sometimes easier for teams to grow and become more active again.

While retirement as a term sounds like an end, it is not, it can even offer a fresh start.

What do you think about that?

Kind regards,
Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire the Spot project?

Posted by Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

 Retire +1
 Spot has had very low activity levels in these years and has missed
multiple reports.

 I find it hard to believe that a community can still be built in this
situation.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 6:18 PM Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello Spot team,
>
> cc/ general@
>
> I am currently checking various podlings and have seen no activity in Spot for a long time.
>
> Several roll calls were made, like this one:
> https://lists.apache.org/list?private@spot.apache.org:2022-10
> (private list)
>
> Although the contributor list is huge, nothing has changed since then. To me, it looks like nobody has the time to maintain the project.
>
> I want to bring up the idea of retirement again. It would mean Spot would no longer be in the incubator but could return to the incubator when there is a community.
>
> Retirement does not mean the code is locked up and archived forever. The Spot team can still work on it on platforms like Github.
>
> On the other hand, you don't need to report anymore; of course, you don't have strict ASF release rules. This makes it sometimes easier for teams to grow and become more active again.
>
> While retirement as a term sounds like an end, it is not, it can even offer a fresh start.
>
> What do you think about that?
>
> Kind regards,
> Christian

Best wishes!
CalvinKirs

Re: [DISCUSS] Retire the Spot project?

Posted by Calvin Kirs <ki...@apache.org>.
Hi,

 Retire +1
 Spot has had very low activity levels in these years and has missed
multiple reports.

 I find it hard to believe that a community can still be built in this
situation.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2023 at 6:18 PM Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello Spot team,
>
> cc/ general@
>
> I am currently checking various podlings and have seen no activity in Spot for a long time.
>
> Several roll calls were made, like this one:
> https://lists.apache.org/list?private@spot.apache.org:2022-10
> (private list)
>
> Although the contributor list is huge, nothing has changed since then. To me, it looks like nobody has the time to maintain the project.
>
> I want to bring up the idea of retirement again. It would mean Spot would no longer be in the incubator but could return to the incubator when there is a community.
>
> Retirement does not mean the code is locked up and archived forever. The Spot team can still work on it on platforms like Github.
>
> On the other hand, you don't need to report anymore; of course, you don't have strict ASF release rules. This makes it sometimes easier for teams to grow and become more active again.
>
> While retirement as a term sounds like an end, it is not, it can even offer a fresh start.
>
> What do you think about that?
>
> Kind regards,
> Christian

Best wishes!