Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2014/09/17 00:22:05 UTC

Programatic way to recursively chmod a directory

Hi,
Is there a *programatic* solution to do it recursively?
I'm using Hadoop 2.3.0.

I tried the followings:

1. I tried FileSystem.mkdirs( path, permission), it created the directory but the permission is not set correctly.

2. I tried FileSystem.setPermisison(path, permission), it changes only the current directory not recursively.

3. I tried to use FileUtil.chmod() with no luck,

4. new FsShell(conf).run(new String[]{"-chmod" , "-R", "777", "/tmp/mislam"}); it worked but looks like it is not a good solution to execute a shell.

Questions :
1. Is there a solution for this?
2. If not, is there any JIRA for this? I didn't find one.
3. What next?

Regards,
Mohammad

Re: Programatic way to recursively chmod a directory

Posted by Jagat Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.
I did not try this.

What is the error or return code when you use FileUtil
https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/FileUtil.html#chmod(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, boolean)

chmod

public static int *chmod*
<https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/api/src-html/org/apache/hadoop/fs/FileUtil.html#line.865>(String
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html?is-external=true>
filename,
                        String
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/lang/String.html?is-external=true>
perm,
                        boolean recursive)
                 throws IOException
<http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/io/IOException.html?is-external=true>

Change the permissions on a file / directory, recursively, if needed.

*Parameters:*filename - name of the file whose permissions are to changeperm -
permission stringrecursive - true, if permissions should be changed
recursively*Returns:*the exit code from the command.*Throws:*IOException

Posted by Jagat Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.
I did not try this.

Posted by Mohammad Islam <mi...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Naga,
Thanks a lot for your answer.
I think it will definitely answer the part of my question.
For example, do you know if  mkdirs works with permission?

Regards,
Mohammad

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:40 PM, Naganarasimha G R (Naga) <ga...@huawei.com> wrote:

Hi Mohammad,
If the user you are trying with has rights on the folder then you can try umask of 000  (like 777 - 000 =777 effective rights )
or you can check what is effective umask setting which you want to have, so that files created by this user by default has the desired rights.

Regards,
Naga

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Phone:
Fax:
Mobile:  +91 9980040283
Email: naganarasimhagr@huawei.com
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Bantian, Longgang District,Shenzhen 518129, P.R.China
http://www.huawei.com
¡This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by phone or email immediately and delete it!

Posted by "Naganarasimha G R (Naga)" <ga...@huawei.com>.
Hi Mohammad,

Email: naganarasimhagr@huawei.com<ma...@huawei.com>

Posted by Jagat Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.