Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/30 20:41:33 UTC

We need a Solaris Zone

Can any of the Struts developers help us out with this?  What is the
process for getting a zone established for MyFaces?  There are too
many cool things that are possible with zones that we are not getting
to take advantage of.

I believe the zone will also be a good solution to our continuous
integration needs.  The Maven Continuum project[1] looks promising.
They are also apparently using solaris zones for their continuum
server[2].  I believe Struts is using zones for nightly builds and
some Maven stuff ...

sean

[1] http://maven.apache.org/continuum
[2] http://maven.zones.apache.org:8080/continuum

Re: We need a Solaris Zone

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
To get a zone, you need to ask the infra@ folks. My guess is that the answer
will be "not right now" because zones are technically still experimental
(and hence subject to wipeout without notice), but Mads is planning on
finishing things up and making them live during the hackathon at ApacheCon
in a couple of weeks. After the hackathon (or at it, even), you'll probably
get a thumbs up.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: We need a Solaris Zone

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> The Gump project has different goals : it does "continious" builds of
> all the latest development versions.

So all projects do *not* already have the capability provided by
Continuum.  That's why James is experimenting with it for Struts.
Maven has their own Continuum server as well.  My point is that for
something like Continuum it makes sense to share no?  For something
like Tomcat, each project will have its own needs and will want to
configure things a certain way so I can see why each project will have
its own instance of Tomcat (or none if its not needed.)

> MyFaces is already on the gump build..

So I've heard.  I don't know who set that up.  At some point I would
like to look into it.  The more pressing concern for me is to get
regular builds on *ASF* hardware using the current version of the
dependencies.

> Martin

sean

Re: We need a Solaris Zone

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <mv...@ibl-software.nl>.

Sean Schofield wrote:
>> We already have that capability. It's called Gump. Every project should be using it.
>

> The same could be said for SVN and JIRA.  We already have CVS and
> Bugzilla and every project should use them.
>
> IMO SVN and JIRA are way better *alternatives.*  I don't know enough
> about Continuum or Gump to say for sure, but so far Continuum looks
> much nicer.  So why not offer ASF projects a choice?

The Gump project has different goals : it does "continious" builds of
all the latest development versions. So eg myfaces depends on
commons-collections, gump will build the trunk of myfaces against the
trunk of commons-collections and not against the version (eg 3.1) you
specified in your pom.

MyFaces is already on the gump build..

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: We need a Solaris Zone

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
>  We already have that capability. It's called Gump. Every project should be using it.

The same could be said for SVN and JIRA.  We already have CVS and
Bugzilla and every project should use them.

IMO SVN and JIRA are way better *alternatives.*  I don't know enough
about Continuum or Gump to say for sure, but so far Continuum looks
much nicer.  So why not offer ASF projects a choice?

>  Martin Cooper

sean

Re: We need a Solaris Zone

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.