Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hardy <vh...@eng.sun.com> on 2001/01/24 20:45:01 UTC

Re: UML (or any pictural language) diagram of Batik documentation in SVG?

George,

I think the idea of generating SVG based class documentation is
interesting, but, just to clarify, what we have now is just a couple
class diagrams, manually drawn, that I need to clean up and
turn into SVG. This is a modest documentation and it is on my todo
list to make that publicly available (as soon as I am done).

My understanding of your proposal is to work on a tool to automatically
generate a kind of SVG-based javadoc (I would think focusing on the
class/packages dependencies) and I think it is a great idea. If you'd
like to contribute, please do, I would love to have something like
this.

I would think there may be multiple options that could be interesting.
One would be a UML to SVG transcoder. Another idea would be to create
an SVG doclet for the javadoc engine...

Any thoughts or comments?
V.

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
* Vincent Hardy (vhardy@eng.sun.com) wrote :
> My understanding of your proposal is to work on a tool to automatically
> generate a kind of SVG-based javadoc (I would think focusing on the
> class/packages dependencies) and I think it is a great idea. If you'd
> like to contribute, please do, I would love to have something like
> this.

Just a thought -- worth talking to the Alexandria guys and gals about
whether they'd like to include this? Alexandria already has the XML
Javadoc doclet and various other things. This might be as simple as an
XSLT stylesheet to translate the javadoc XML to SVG.

> I would think there may be multiple options that could be interesting.
> One would be a UML to SVG transcoder. Another idea would be to create
> an SVG doclet for the javadoc engine...

Again, may not be needed, given the XML doclet.

Paul.

Re: UML (or any pictural language) diagram of Batik documentation in SVG?

Posted by Curt Arnold <Cu...@hyprotech.com>.
There is definitely interest in Batik on the ArgoUML mailing
list, too.  I'm going to be gone skiing over the weekend, but
I'll try to see how far I can go with it next week.

Automatically generating "good" UML diagrams of complex systems
is a pretty daunting task.  I think that there will always need
to be some human involvement to determine which classes should
appear on a particular diagram and their relative arrangement.

We are in a refactoring mode right now in ArgoUML and though
their are dire warnings about using the 0.9 alpha version, it has
fixed some issues that made generating diagrams from imported or
reverse-engineered models a real pain.  Unfortunately, I think
the SVG export option may have temporarily disappeared from the
menus in 0.9.

[ Original message repeated for the benefit of the ArgoUML list ]

Posted by Wong Kok Wai <wo...@pacific.net.sg>.