Posted to user@struts.apache.org by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> on 2005/04/25 03:51:31 UTC

How can I get people to look at my contribution? [was: Re: Action ...

> Whatever anyone thinks.  I am not happy that you are so agitated.
> If I could do something sensible to help, I would.  I do think that
> people are generally more than capable of making their own
> decisions about what they want to read.  There is little chance
> for competition in the arean of ideas if those in power exercize
> that power to extinguish ideas and submissions they find a thorn
> on their rose.

See, that's what kills me.  You are still stuck on this "us and them"
theory.

You seem to be pretty good at creating new accounts with GMail, here's what
you can do:
 - go out to SourceForge.net
 - create a new Project
 - add all your code you've been working on that you say "those in
   power" have been "extinguishing [your] ideas and submissions"
 - complete any one of the projects
 - make a release available for download
 - make an [ANNONCEMENT] on the Struts or others mailing list
   inviting all interested parties to try it.

The best way to provide (force) an enhancement into Struts is to
do so through a plug-in.

If people actually use your plug-in, there will be discussion about
it.  That's exactly what happened with many other projects.

Here's just a couple of examples:
 - struts-menu        http://struts-menu.sourceforge.net/
 - security-filter    http://securityfilter.sourceforge.net/
 - struts test case   http://strutstestcase.sourceforge.net/

There are many others out there I have not even mentioned.

Here's another similar example:

Back in 2002, several people were asking if it was possible to use a
database to store their i18n'd resource bundle instead of the default one
provided by Struts.  So I sat down and wrote one, but ran into a few
issues...

http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg40667.html

Now, what became of that idea?  Like your idea, there was not much interest
by the committers.  Instead of whining about it, I decided to release it
under the same License that all ASF software uses.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=49385&package_id=76369

I provide both the library, and a working copy of the struts-example
modified to demonstrate it's use.  And in the years it has been available, I
have received many thank-you emails from people I've never even heard of.

Did my contribution make it into the Struts code?  No.  Did I commit it,
once I was asked to join the team?  No.  I followed the same procedure
outlined above.  It's not something that enough people want, therefore it
doesn't belong there.  And since it is so easy to use by adding a jar and
changing your struts-config.xml, there's really no reason to add it.

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

Re: How can I get people to look at my contribution? [was: Re: Action ...

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
James has been and will continue to be, no doubt, a great asset to
Struts.  What that has to do with his misconception discussed in this
thread is beyond me.  But, as an aside, James, you have my "atta boy"
too.

Jack

On 4/25/05, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The plain truth is that an ASF project is not a democracy. It a
> meritocracy. People earn merit and credibility by doing things that
> matter and avoiding things that don't matter.
>
> One way to earn merit and credibility is to make helpful posts. But
> hurtful, unhelpful posts destroy merit just as easily. One step
> forward, three steps back.
>
> Like all open source projects, Struts doesn't need critics, we need
> models. What we need most is people like James, who create extensions,
> and contribute to the codebase, and volunteer the time and energy it
> takes to keep this project running, day after day.
>
> James Mtichell is a Committer and a member of the Struts PMC. Over the
> years, through his many contributions, he's earned a lot of merit with
> this community. Most recently, James did the work of fixing our
> nightly builds. If he did not do that work, then we might not have
> nightly builds right now. James didn't do it because someone paid him
> to do it. James did it because he wanted to make a difference (in a
> good way).
>
> When James speaks, I listen. Why? because James has earned a lot of
> merit and credibility in my eyes.
>
> Anyone with an email account can post to this list. But, not everyone
> takes the time and energy to do the work of this project, the way
> James does, and Martin does, and Don does, and Joe does, and Niall
> does, and Hubert does.
>
> Not because anyone pays them to do it (no one does), but because they
> simply want to make the Struts project a better place. Not by
> criticizing, but by making it so.
>
> -Ted.

~Dakota Jack~

Re: How can I get people to look at my contribution? [was: Re: Action ...

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.
Ted Husted wrote:

>Anyone with an email account can post to this list.

That'll teach 'em to give me an email account.

Muahahahahaha!

All your Struts are belong to us.

Dave "I thought something weird was going on" Newton

Re: How can I get people to look at my contribution? [was: Re: Action ...

Posted by Dakota Jack <da...@gmail.com>.
You are so totally confused and wrong about what I am about, James.

First, the "us versus them theory" was not about what you assumed but
in fact an agreement about the "banning" policy you discussed.  You
generally seem to have very mistaken ideas about what I am doing.

I have not proposed code for Struts.  You might think I have because
you do things very differently than I do.  I would not do that
(propose such code) unless it were something like an IoC with
interfaces for the core classes.  Indeed, a lot of my griping is about
the imposition of tangential code into the Struts core.  So, I have no
gripes at all related in any way to code being or not being included
and that has never been an issue.  That is probably something that
might bother you or something.  I could care less about that.  I think
that changes are far too liberal, not too limited.  I have never
proposed a thing which I would think should be added.  You really need
to think about why you would think that.

Anyway, I really have no desire to battle you on anything at all.  I
just am a bit sensitive to people who talk down to or talk crossly
with me.  I don't put up with that.  When someone does that, I
respond.  That has nothing to do with coding, using code, blah, blah.
I also don't care for games and general misconduct, and when I see it,
I mention it.  So do you.  We just differ on what we care about.  You
can do what you like.  I would like the same consideration.  Thanks.

Jack

~Dakota Jack~