Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/29 23:26:30 UTC

Qpid java 6.0.0 alpha is available

Hi folks,
I prepared an alpha build of Qpid java components for version 6.0.0
(qpid-java-6.0.0) from trunk revision 1705736.

The 6.0.0 alpha artifacts are available from Nexus staging repo at:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheqpid-1045/

I performed some smoke testing of produced components by starting Qpid Java
Broker, running Hello/Spout/Drain examples and logging into web management
console.

Everything worked fine for me. Please, fill free to execute more tests
against produced components.

I am thinking to make a beta build in one week (on 6th of October).
Hopefully, we will manage to release 6.0.0 in one week after that or even
earlier depending from what people find in the alpha/beta or might want to
get included into the release.

Kind Regards,
Alex

Re: Qpid java 6.0.0 alpha is available

Posted by Oleksandr Rudyy <or...@gmail.com>.
Hi guys,

We have to postpone the beta as we are currently investigating
performance issues. As soon as we resolve them, we will cut the branch
and do a beta build. Hopefully, that will be accomplished during the
following week. If not, we will provide another notice about the
delay.

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex

I took a look at the produced Alpha.  I'm noticing a couple of problems
with the licensing.

1) Running "mvn  package   -DskipTests -Pdependency-check" flags that the
Eclipse Public License - v1.0 is forbidden by the license-maven-plugin.

Since binaries licensed with the Eclipse Public License are permitted as
dependencies of Apache Project [1], I think this might be simply a case of
mismatch in the license names  "Eclipse Public License - Version 1.0" !=
"License Eclipse Public License - v 1.0".  I think qpid-parent might need
another <licenseMerge>?

[INFO] --- license-maven-plugin:1.6:add-third-party
(check-third-party-licensing) @ qpid-test-utils ---
[INFO] Included licenses (whitelist): [Apache Software License, Version
2.0, The MIT License, BSD License, Eclipse Public License - Version 1.0,
Common Public License Version 1.0, Academic Free License v2.1]
[WARNING] There is 2 forbidden licenses used:
[WARNING] License Eclipse Public License - v 1.0used by 2 dependencies:
 -Logback Classic Module (ch.qos.logback:logback-classic:1.1.3 -
http://logback.qos.ch/logback-classic)
 -Logback Core Module (ch.qos.logback:logback-core:1.1.3 -
http://logback.qos.ch/logback-core)
[WARNING] License GNU Lesser General Public Licenseused by 2 dependencies:
 -Logback Classic Module (ch.qos.logback:logback-classic:1.1.3 -
http://logback.qos.ch/logback-classic)
 -Logback Core Module (ch.qos.logback:logback-core:1.1.3 -
http://logback.qos.ch/logback-core)

2) I manually checked the NOTICE and LICENSE files included in the
bundles.  It looks like we still have references to Log4J, no reference to
Logback or Guava.  There may be more, I think IIRC once 1) is resolved, the
running license-check will report the discrepancies.

3) I noticed that the year range in the NOTICE file is -2014 rather than
-2015.

I did some very rudimentary checking of the client/broker packages, no
issues encountered.

cheers Keith

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b