Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/02 23:08:18 UTC

Re: invent way to get dropdown data in JSP not using actions or taglibs?

What I do is that I create an  "input" map to the input method on the
same action class for which validation is failing. That method is
empty (from ActionSupport), and forwards to the page that will show
the data. On this page I use the normal tags backed by the action. If
multiple tags call the same method then I "cache" the results on the
action. I think your problem can easily be solved by making "input" go
thru an action, instead of forwarding to the page straight. (but you
already knew this :) ) <redundant-email />

regards
musachy

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Jeromy Evans on 10/01/08 01:32, wrote:
>> I had quickly coded a Result to do some 'view logic' (i.e. retrieve a list
>> from the model) and I had assumed I would be able to parameterize this
>> using extra parameters in <result> but it seems my extra parameters are
>> ignored - the only one that counts is <result><param name="location">
>>
>> Is that correct?
>>
> AFAIK, you can define any new parameters for your Result and set them through
> struts.xml <param> provided there's a public property for it. I've definitely
> used it for custom results extending StrutsResultSupport.  I have a getter
> and setter in every case.

Thanks for the answer. I discovered that from the OGNL stacktrace I had
produced. I had a private property with public getters and setters on my Result.
OGNL threw a IllegalAccessException. So I deleted the getters and setters and
made the field public. It seems you don't need the getters and setters for OGNL.

See my next msg for continuation on the thread re architecture.

Thanks
Adam

Re: invent way to get dropdown data in JSP not using actions or taglibs?

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
I haven't got a solution to demonstrate what I want to do yet, because I'm still
looking at the current Result mechanism to see how it functions. However you're
right that it might not be worth the effort - I'm sure I'm not aware of all the
dependencies that tie into the mechanism. Implications for REST handling and for
OGNL and theme handling come to mind.

Here's a catalogue of current solutions to the absence of a 'view logic' layer:

* create a 'straight-through' Action mapping using just ActionSupport, and chain
the input result to it

* fetch data from model in your action and store it in the session

* use taglibs to retrieve data for the dropdowns or lists they render

* use <s:action> taglibs to retrieve the data and place it somewhere accessible

* use Preparable interceptor

* use Tiles interceptors

There were some fixes proposed too, extending Preparable, or implementing a
FLASH scope to make the process quicker and more efficient.

It's a tribute to the flexibility of the framework that it could be done in so
many different ways, but the purist and idealist in me thinks of the situation
where a struts newby is asking what to do in this situation. It would be nice to
say, 'This is where it goes, job done' rather than have to explain a work-around.

I'd like to see the idea taken on-board, even if it's just put on a back-burner.
If my speed of development picks up (it can't get much slower at the moment - I
find myself unintentionally at the wrong end of the learning curve again) then
I'll definitely put together something myself by way of a demo. At the moment
though I shall have to make do with an ugly child class extending TilesResult.

Best regards
Adam

Jeromy Evans on 10/01/08 01:32, wrote:
> Adam Hardy wrote:
>> Is it right to assume that no-one is interested by the idea of extending
>> the S2 Result to allow extra configuration or classes at this location in
>> the architecture?
>>
> Hi Adam, I haven't been convinced yet that there's a strong argument for this
> compared to alternative approaches yet. Or rather that the effort doesn't
> seem justified for the amount I'd use it.  However one related use-case I've
> yet to find a good approach for is when using the REST plugin and a
> ContentTypeHandler to determine which result handler is executed: For the
> same result: - when the requested content type is HTML, a view is returned
> that often does need access to additional data (eg. options for a select) -
> when the requested content type is XML or JSON, the result does not need that
> additional data to be prepared In this case it makes sense that only the HTML
> result itself, or the view components themselves, should perform the
> additional logic to prepare the HTML view.  The action itself definitely
> should not be doing it (but does).
>
> Your proposal may be the best way to solve that but may need some more
> thought within that context.
[snip]

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.