Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by mouss <mo...@netoyen.net> on 2007/10/01 16:53:11 UTC

Re: New domains

Jonas Eckerman wrote:
> (The idea below is not mine, someone else (I'm sorry, but I forgot
> who) wrote about it here (I think) before.)
>
> Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
>
>> brand-new domains,
>
> Something that could work for this without the problems inherent in
> using whois or registry databases is to simply check how long ago a
> domain was first seen beeing used for sending mail or in URIs in mail.
> (People might allready be doing this locally, but doing it centralized
> could work better.)
>
> A specialized DNS server could be done for this. It'd work something
> like this:
>
> 1: It receives a query.
>
> 2: It checks in it's database.
>
> 3.a, found in database:
> * Return result indicating how long ago domain was added.
>
> 3.b: not found:
> * Adds the domain to the database.
> * Return result indicating new domain.
>
> (It might be a good idea to also save last queried time for each
> domain (meaning 2.a will need to update the database) in order to be
> able to clean out domains that hasn't been seen for a long time.)
>
> In order to be effective, such a DNS list must be used by a lot of
> different systems spread all over the world and used by different type
> of organizations.
>
> It will also take time time until it can be used in an effective
> manner, so enough people would have to be using it for some time with
> very low scores just to seed it.

Wouldn't this be reinventing /etc/hosts? I mean, if you list all
domains, you end up with a huge database...  or am I missing something?

Re: New domains

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
mouss wrote:
 > Wouldn't this be reinventing /etc/hosts?

No.

The hosts file contained all individual *hosts* a machine needed
to know about, and still contains all hosts a machine needs to
know about without using the DNS.

This database would contain all *domains* that has been used in mail.

 > I mean, if you list all domains, you end up with a huge
 > database...

Yes. A huge (and dynamic) database.

Regards
/Jonas