Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Erandi Ganepola <er...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/28 15:52:04 UTC

GSoC 2017 - [VXQuery-180] RESTful API Implementation

Hi All,

This was the first time I participated in GSoC and I contributed to Apache
VXQuery-180[1]. I had below mentioned objectives:

- Implement REST API
- Alter CLI to use REST API
- Migrate XTests to use REST API

I am happy to say that I have covered all of them. Implementations can be
found in PR 172 [2] (PR has been merged). In current version of VXQuery,
below mentioned changes are implemented.

- Implemented the REST Server to start through the cluster controller
  application.
- CLI now calls the REST API (remote if given, local one else) to
  execute queries.
- Migrated XTests to use the REST API to run queries related to tests

I would like to make this an opportunity to pay my heartiest gratitude to
my mentors, Ian Maxon and Preston Carman without whom this project wouldn't
have become a success. They were  always very responsive and helpful,
provided proper guidance during this period. Also I should thank VXQuery
community for all their support given, especially through mailing list.
Finally I would like to thank ASF for giving this valuable opportunity to
me. This was indeed a great summer for me.

Please visit my blog post[3] to find more information on my project. I’m
planning to continue my contribution to VXQuery in future as well and hope
to see you all soon.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VXQUERY-180
[2] https://github.com/apache/vxquery/pull/172
[3]https://medium.com/@erandiganepola/gsoc-2017-apache-
vxquery-180-restful-api-bcb8833f24e5

Thanks and Best Regards,

*Erandi Ganepola*
Undergraduate
BSc. Management and Information Technology (IT Sp.)
University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka

<https://www.linkedin.com/in/erandiganepola/>
<https://github.com/erandiganepola>   <https://twitter.com/erandiganepola>