Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by hilfi alkaff <hi...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/04 22:09:13 UTC

Re: Want to Contribute to spark

Hi,

Related to this thread, I would also like to start contributing to
open-source but I currently do not have a lot of time to spare. I plan to
tackle the minor and trivial features for now. In this case, how should I
go about doing this? Should I just email whoever is opening the tickets?

Thanks,

--
~Hilfi Alkaff~

Re: Want to Contribute to spark

Posted by Mike <sp...@good-with-numbers.com>.
hilfi alkaff wrote:
> is there any logistic stuff I need to do before I work on a specific
> bug in the JIRA tickets (e.g. do I need to send notification to the
> mailing list that I am working in this bug, etc)?

On this project I haven't seen that.  Go straight to JIRA.

> I plan to tackle the minor and trivial features for now. In this case,
> how should I go about doing this?

If there's no open issue, and the changes are small, then code is the
clearest way to convey intentions, so I just go straight to creating a
pull request.

> Should I just email whoever is opening the tickets?

The person who opened the issue isn't necessarily "in charge of" the
issue, though he/she probably has opinions on it.  Use the usual JIRA
mechanisms: assign it to yourself, or, if you can't, comment in the
issue that you're working on it.  Anyone who's interested in the issue
will get e-mail, through the usual JIRA mechanisms.

Re: Want to Contribute to spark

Posted by Mark Hamstra <ma...@clearstorydata.com>.
Ah, okay -- sorry for misunderstanding.  Coordinating development is
actually something that we haven't done a really good job of in the past.
 Mostly that is because so many of the important efforts were done in the
AMPLab, and there were enough small-scale projects that we haven't really
had a lot of trouble with conflicting or duplicative development.  That's
bound to change as more work gets done outside of the Lab and more
contributors come on board.

In the discussions we've had previously, we pretty much decided to give
JIRA a go as a place to rendezvous and coordinate efforts -- and then many
of us didn't do a very good job of following through on that intention.
 The Berkeley developers have done a better job than most at adhering to
this "Use JIRA" policy, and probably the rest of us should start emulating
them by finding or opening tickets for things we want to work on and then
using those tickets for design discussions and tracking who is currently
working on the issue.

Unless somebody has a better idea....

Posted by hilfi alkaff <hi...@gmail.com>.

--