Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2018/12/18 20:55:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] what's the plan for releases?

Hi folks!

First, I want to give a big thanks to everyone who's been slogging through the backlog of changes over the last few months. It's really exciting to see progress again.

What are folks thinking about in terms of releases? I'm particularly interested in what the currently active contributors and committers are looking for?

* Is a major release (i.e. 1.9) the main focus?
* Anyone already looking at getting existing minor release lines going again (i.e. 1.7 or 1.8)?
* Are there any major blockers to doing one or more of the above now, or are folks trying to complete a pass of everything before looking at releases?

I ask because I may have a bit of time for doing release manager duties.

In my experience it's better to release often rather than wait for the perfect time, but I understand that there's a big backlog of expectations so folks might not be feeling great about their changes coming in for a future release when we don't have a history of a steady release cadence.

Maybe folks with a more up to date view of the backlog than me have a better idea about what things still under review might necessitate a major version increment, so that we might try to get them all into 1.9?

Re: [DISCUSS] what's the plan for releases?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

> On Dec 18, 2018, at 3:55 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:
> First, I want to give a big thanks to everyone who's been slogging through the backlog of changes over the last few months. It's really exciting to see progress again.
>
> What are folks thinking about in terms of releases? I'm particularly interested in what the currently active contributors and committers are looking for?
>
> * Is a major release (i.e. 1.9) the main focus?
> * Anyone already looking at getting existing minor release lines going again (i.e. 1.7 or 1.8)?
> * Are there any major blockers to doing one or more of the above now, or are folks trying to complete a pass of everything before looking at releases?

I’m mostly trying to get things ready for a 1.9 release.    That’s mostly digging through the open PR’s and reducing the backlog.   There are still a bunch of Java and Python things left to dig through, but we’re down from over 140 PR’s to under 40 now so a lot of progress has been made.      I thought Thiru was also going to look at some of the C++11 updates, but I haven’t see that happen yet.

I’m not looking at 1.7/1.8 at all.

> I ask because I may have a bit of time for doing release manager duties.
>
> In my experience it's better to release often rather than wait for the perfect time, but I understand that there's a big backlog of expectations so folks might not be feeling great about their changes coming in for a future release when we don't have a history of a steady release cadence.
>
> Maybe folks with a more up to date view of the backlog than me have a better idea about what things still under review might necessitate a major version increment, so that we might try to get them all into 1.9?

Well, the python updates are kind of a hold up right now as I don’t know enough python to really review them well.   The C++11 updates would also be good to get done in 1.9.  SOME of the c++11 things are done, but I think there was some other updates that Thiru was considering.   Not really sure though.   I also want to re-look at https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/259 <https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/259> as that is also a breaking change that I would like to get in for 1.9, however it’s now completely out of date and may need a full re-do.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> - http://dankulp.com/blog <http://dankulp.com/blog>