Posted to dev@hivemind.apache.org by Steve Gibson <St...@cowww.com> on 2004/10/29 16:40:22 UTC

Bean Factory vs Object Provider vs ??

Hi.

I have a situation where I want to write a service that creates Objects
using Sun's Service Provider Interface semantics
i.e. Inside my jars I will have a file:
META-INF/services/<Interface Name>
And inside that file, a list of classes in the jar implementing that
interface.

This will provide me with a nice plugin mechanism.

I think I am starting to understand the BeanFactory in HiveMind lib, but
this does not quite fit into the same model, as instead of a
contribution defining what is provided, this would need to be derived
from jar files.

Would this be a candidate Object Provider? The way I want to use this is
for implementing commands, some of which can be added as a custom jar at
a customer site. If I can write a service to do this, I have access to
these commands from other parts of the code, with the bonus that I can
do some dependency injection into these if I wish (e.g. set log file,
inject service references, etc).

Any comments?

Steve Gibson
Software Engineer