Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/22 14:12:47 UTC

Discussion: MyPortal vs. framework dashboard

Hi devs,
IMO we are proceeding really well with Hans's MyPortal application
that uses the Portal/Portlet feature.

We have recently considered, and more or less agreed, that portlets
will be defined in the base or derived applications.

Using this pattern, base (and derived) components should never be
aware of more high level and "aggregative" application like MyPortal.

In my original thought there was only one "aggregative" application
(the Dashboard) embedded in the framework. Embedding the Dashboard in
the framework was possible just thanks to the independence of the
"aggregative" application from the portlets that is guarranteed by the
Portal/Portlet mechanism.

I imagined that, in this way, the framework embedded Dashboard could
even be used like a "home" application where users could land when
they enter the OFBiz.

With this "framework-centric" pattern, the MyPortal application could
have been a simple application that defines some portlets (and
related) and does not define an own application tab and screens. Yust
rely on the framework Dashboard.

So, summarizing, I propose:

1) To move all portlet definitions to their related applications
(mainly partymgr and projectmgr)
2) Have MyPortal only define its own portlets (and all related stuff)
3) Remove MyPortal Application tab
4) Have a Dashboard Application tab that works as home also

What do you think about?
-Bruno

Re: Discussion: MyPortal vs. framework dashboard

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Bruno,

currently the framework and the ERP application on top of it, have
different target audiences and users.

The example component is a showcase of the framework and the myPortal
component is a special component showing specific portalpages  with
specific portlets for the specific kind of users of the ERP application.
So software developers vs ERP users...

I would like to suggest to keep it as it is now: the example component
for the framework and the MyPortal for the ERP application.

Regards,
Hans

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David E Jones <da...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
While it would be nice to have some sort of single main portal page
that people could use as a landing point, and that would perhaps show
different things based on permissions they have so that adapts better
to specific roles, the portal/portlet features can be quite a bit more.

As for "My Portal" versus "Dashboard" I'd prefer to stick with the
term "My Portal". The problem I see with Dashboard is that it is used
in the world of BI and reporting to represent something rather
different, and something that is mostly for monitoring the status of
various metrics, usually including charts and graphs and such. Of
course it would be cool to have screenlets that do present information
using chart/graphs/whatever and those could be included in portal pages.

The way I think of a "portal" page is that they are just configurable
screens, and I was tempted to propose we rename them as such, but in a
way I like the addition to the confusion surrounding the term
"portal" (which is a mess right now anyway, but seem to mean something
in a generic way and this seems consistent with that).

As a configurable screen in addition to having a single landing page
of sorts (ie the My Portal page) we could also have various
configurable screens that start out with a certain configuration but
that can be changed by users. Some examples that have come to mind:

1. the main page of the catalog manager with it's various parts, or
even just the left bar of the catalog manager that is there in a few
of the top-level tabs

2. landing pages in any role-oriented application: the projectmgr app
targets multiple roles so may have multiple ones, others like the sfa
webapp are targeted more at a single role and so would have a landing
page meant just for that role

3. various pages in different applications that could be left open to
customization, even the Party Manager profile page and any page that
has multiple sections like that

-David