Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com> on 2003/11/07 20:36:17 UTC

[FRIDAY] Why people want to know who read their msg?

It's pissing me off when my Outlook asks me if I went to send a notification
message.

Don't understand it.

Re: [FRIDAY] Why people want to know who read their msg?

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@baseBeans.com>.
James Mitchell wrote:

> If you don't like Outlook features, stop using Outlook.

+1.

Outlook also spreads viruses.

I use Mozilla based mail client (Netscape, etc.) and have less of a need
to run any virus checkers, becuase it's just a better mail client.

.V

RE: [FRIDAY] Why people want to know who read their msg?

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com>.
The thing I don't understand is why you would want a receipt at the first place.
Anticipating a refund?

Posted by Norm Deane <no...@vanderbilt.edu>.

--
Norm Deane
MIS Consultant

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
On 11/07/2003 09:31 PM David Graham wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone on the Jakarta admin team could set the mailing
>> list software to strip the 'request-confirmation' email header from
>> the mails it sends out? As Yinsheng says, there is no point in them.
>

> You want Jakarta to change its processes to accomodate your use of a
> poorly written email client?  Not likely...

Wow that's a bit harsh. Firstly if you think my email client is poorly
written, you're ... oh hold on, you're right. I can set my
return-receipt handling per email account. What I said before about it
being an application-wide setting was wrong. Sorry.

However despite being wrong about that point, it still would make sense
to strip off that header because, regardless of the email client
software of the listers, that header is useless and anybody using it was
doing so only by mistake. Although in our broadband era it's probably
insignificant, all those return-receipts flying around is a waste of
band-width.

Adam
--
struts 1.1 + tomcat 5.0.12 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 RH9

Re: [FRIDAY] Why people want to know who read their msg?

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
On 11/07/2003 09:38 PM Mike Jasnowski wrote:
> Or better yet, why not just write an Outlook add-in that strips the header
> for you.
>
> --- Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
>>I wonder if anyone on the Jakarta admin team could set the mailing list
>>software to strip the 'request-confirmation' email header from the mails
>>it sends out? As Yinsheng says, there is no point in them.
>

> You want Jakarta to change its processes to accomodate your use of a
> poorly written email client?  Not likely...

Alright alright I give up, I was wrong, but for crying out loud, I use
mozilla and was making a point that doesn't have anything to do with
which client I use, which is why I didn't mention it.

Adam

Posted by Mike Jasnowski <mj...@bea.com>.

Posted by Yansheng Lin <ya...@isogis.com>.
+1

That's the whole point of my posting.   Why do you need to turn it on when you
post to a public mailing list?!!!  I never turn it on when I do a post here.

Don't understand why a lot of people are trying to defend/protect such
inconsideration.

> On 11/07/2003 09:13 PM Yansheng Lin wrote:
> > That's not the point.

David

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.