Posted to dev@click.apache.org by georgex <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2010/05/30 11:17:08 UTC

Could Click run on SimpleWeb?

Could Click be modified/tweaked easily to run on SimpleWeb server?

http://simpleweb.sourceforge.net/index.php
SimpleWeb seems to be the fastest Java based HTTP server to date, and it
supports Velocity too :).

Click needs a Servlet Container, but how much of it is really using
(considering that Click has it's own life cycle)?
Couldn't be that part a little bit more generic? (like the templating or the
logging service )? To be able to run on SimpleWeb too?

thanks,
George.

Re: Could Click run on SimpleWeb?

Posted by georgex <ge...@yahoo.com>.

Adrian A. wrote:

>> Could Click be modified/tweaked easily to run on SimpleWeb server?
>>
>> http://simpleweb.sourceforge.net/index.php
> If such a update would be made, than we would need to throw away the
> backward compatibility (one of the main selling points of Click) since
> the servlet API is also exposed to the user applications.

It's fair to keep the compatibility, but what if the  users don't use the
servlet API directly with purpose to be able to run on SimpleWeb too?

Adrian A. wrote:

>> Click needs a Servlet Container, but how much of it is really using
>> (considering that Click has it's own life cycle)?
>> Couldn't be that part a little bit more generic? (like the templating or
>> the
>> logging service )? To be able to run on SimpleWeb too?
> I suppose you could try to run a Click application right now on
> SimpleWeb too, since SimpleWeb
> seems to have a Servlet adapter:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/simpleweb/files/simpleweb/4.0.6/simple-servlet-0.8.zip/download
>
> (You can find some examples of running Tapestry and Wicket on SimpleWeb
> on the net, so Click should run too)

That's an approach, but I was to vague: the whole point of using SimpleWeb
is because
of it's speed (speed that was gained too by *not* implementing the Servlet
requirements and constraints!).
Another one is how good it scales - how many requests can be handled with
the given hardware resources.
Since the Servlet API ties a thread per session, it consumes much more
resources.

Tapestry seems to have such "direct" integration:
http://simpleweb.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/simpleweb/trunk/src/tapestry/
without the Servlet API.

If Click would have a similar implementation, it would be interesting to
compare how it competes on the ClickBench
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/click/trunk/examples/click-bench/ with the
servlet version.

Posted by "Adrian A." <a....@gmail.com>.
> Could Click be modified/tweaked easily to run on SimpleWeb server?
>
> http://simpleweb.sourceforge.net/index.php
I don't think it would be an easy task.
If you count in how many places javax.* package is used, you will see
that it would require quite allot of changes.
If such a update would be made, than we would need to throw away the
backward compatibility (one of the main selling points of Click) since
the servlet API is also exposed to the user applications.

> SimpleWeb seems to be the fastest Java based HTTP server to date, and it
> supports Velocity too :).
It looks fast indeed, but the tests there compare SimpleWeb to jetty 6 -
not the new and faster jetty 7 :).
Also there's no comparison with Tomcat :) (at least 6, if not the new
and faster Tomcat 7 - still RC for now).

> Click needs a Servlet Container, but how much of it is really using
> (considering that Click has it's own life cycle)?
> Couldn't be that part a little bit more generic? (like the templating or the
> logging service )? To be able to run on SimpleWeb too?
I suppose you could try to run a Click application right now on
SimpleWeb too, since SimpleWeb
seems to have a Servlet adapter:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/simpleweb/files/simpleweb/4.0.6/simple-servlet-0.8.zip/download

(You can find some examples of running Tapestry and Wicket on SimpleWeb
on the net, so Click should run too)

Adrian.