Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Kris Jirapinyo <kj...@biz360.com> on 2009/06/03 20:11:17 UTC

Fastlz coming?

Hi all,
   In the remove lzo JIRA ticket
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-4874 Tatu mentioned he was
going to port fastlz from C to Java and provide a patch.  Has there been any
updates on that?  Or is anyone working on any additional custom compression
codecs?

Thanks,
Kris J.

Re: Fastlz coming?

Posted by Hong Tang <ht...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Using com.hadoop.compression.lzo.LzoCodec is not much different from
using other codecs: adding the hadoop-gpl-compression-0.1.0-dev.jar in
your classpath, and add the path to the native library
libgplcompression.so in system property java.library.path.

Hope this helps, Hong

Re: Fastlz coming?

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Jun 4, 2009, at 11:19 AM, Kris Jirapinyo wrote:

> Hopefully we can have a new page on the hadoop wiki on how to
> use custom compression so that people won't have to go search
> through the
> threads to find the answer in the future.

Yes, it would be extremely useful if you could start a wiki page with
your discoveries. Since you had to discover it, it will be clear to
you what needs to be documented.

On a similar note, I always find that I write the best comments in
code after I leave a section for 6 months and have to figure out what
I meant when I wrote it. Otherwise, it is too obvious. *smile*

-- Owen

Re: Fastlz coming?

Posted by Kris Jirapinyo <kr...@biz360.com>.
Thanks Matt.  Hopefully we can have a new page on the hadoop wiki on how to

Re: Fastlz coming?

Posted by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com>.
Kris-

Re: Fastlz coming?