Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jan Bartel <ja...@coredevelopers.net> on 2003/08/20 07:04:35 UTC

Re: [JNDI ] Choice of impl

For those that are interested, the Jetty JNDI code can be found at the
Jetty Sourceforge site in the cvs browser:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jetty/

Drill down to Jetty/extra/plus/src/org/mortbay/jndi. There are 7 classes:

org.mortbay.jndi:
   InitialContextFactory
    - implementation of the JNDI InitialContextFactory interface

   ContextFactory
    - an ObjectFactory for Contexts. Used to bind
      a Context by a classloader

   NamingContext
     - implementation of the in-memory context mappings

   Util
     - handy naming methods

org.mortbay.jndi.java:
   javaNameParser
     - the JNDI NameParser for java: namespace

   javaRootURLContext
     - root of the java: namespace

   javaURLContextFactory
     - URL context factory for java: URLs

These are sufficient to run an in-memory provider for the java:
namespace with shielded java:comp/env contexts per application and
supporting binding of LinkRefs, References, Referenceables and
Serializables.

On the plus side for Tomcat, I think that as the Jetty JNDI code is
relatively more recent than the Tomcat JNDI code, I'd assume that the
Tomcat one is probably more field tested. However, on the other hand,
the Jetty JNDI code is smaller and simpler (well, it is to me at least,
but then again, I wrote it ;-) ).

Jan
--

  * Jan Bartel <ja...@coredevelopers.net>