Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Waleed Fateem <wa...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/24 19:19:34 UTC

Kafka 0.8.2 Producers -> Kafka Brokers 0.9.x

Hello!

This is a very general question but I was wondering if anyone knows whether
or not the Kafka brokers need to do any additional work to receive/respond
to requests coming in from older clients.

Even though newer brokers support older clients, is there any additional
processing time that can be incurred because of the version mismatch. I'm
specifically curious about the Kafka brokers 0.9.x responding to Kafka
clients 0.8.2.

Thank you.

Waleed

Re: Kafka 0.8.2 Producers -> Kafka Brokers 0.9.x

Posted by Andras Beni <an...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Waleed,

generally extra work is necessary only when the client uses a different
message format version than what is used in the broker log. Then the broker
has to convert between those formats.
In case of 0.8 and 0.9 there is no difference in the message format: both
use version 0.

Best regards,
Andras