Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by talluri abhishek <ab...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/14 14:34:09 UTC

Regarding upgrading from 4.7 to 4.14

Hi All,

We are upgrading from Phoenix 4.7 to 4.14 and observed that data is not
directly available in Phoenix after the upgrade, though the underlying
old hbase tables still hold the data.
Is it because of the column name encoding that's introduced after 4.8 and
Is there any easier way to migrate the data from older versions to a newer
version (>= 4.8 and < 4.14) without having to re-insert data?
I am using CDH parcels to upgrade and do we still need to upgrade to a
maximum of two version as stated in http://phoenix.apache.org/upgrading.html
or Is it okay to directly upgrade to 4.14? Any known issues in doing so?

Thanks,
Abhishek

Re: Regarding upgrading from 4.7 to 4.14

Posted by Pedro Boado <pe...@gmail.com>.
Have you tried disabling column name mapping either globally or in a per
table basis? Column names are stored in every cell so there is no direct
workaround but disabling it.

Posted by Tanvi Bhandari <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Abhishek,

As part of upgrading from phoenix 4.6 to phoenix 4.14 we also faced many
issues.
and yes, column encoding is one of the reason because of which we were not
able to see the data in phoenix tables. We followed the steps listed in

*http://apache-phoenix-user-list.1124778.n5.nabble.com/Issue-in-upgrading-phoenix-java-lang-ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException-SYSTEM-CATALOG-63-tp4768p4780.html
<http://apache-phoenix-user-list.1124778.n5.nabble.com/Issue-in-upgrading-phoenix-java-lang-ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException-SYSTEM-CATALOG-63-tp4768p4780.html>*

Even after doing all of that we were seeing new issues in upgraded instance:
1) count of index table and original table were not matching.
2) select queries with "col_name = " were not returning any record for few
of the rows, even though we can see the record exists.
3) Delete queries with "col_name = " and col_name LIKE queries were also
not able to delete few of the records.

Finally, we decided to migrate the data to new tables. which is working
fine.

Thanks,
Tanvi