Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by James Kerwin <jk...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/13 14:30:34 UTC

[users@httpd] Internal Server Error - strange characters "ę" and "ł"

Hi all,

I have a server with some software on called "EPrints". When uploading some
data via am EPrints form I get an "Internal Server Error" upon submission
and the data is not submitted.

I have found that the slightly unusual characters "ę" and "ł" cause this.
When they are both removed from the form, it all works as expected. I
suspect it's a server issue rather than an EPrints/software issue, but I am
an Apache novice.

Has anybody came across this before and is able to offer advice? Even just
knowing what to Google for a solution would be helpful as I'm not getting
far with it at the moment.

Thanks,
James

Re: [users@httpd] Internal Server Error - strange characters "ę" and "ł"

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 9:30 AM James Kerwin <jk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a server with some software on called "EPrints". When uploading some data via am EPrints form I get an "Internal Server Error" upon submission and the data is not submitted.
>
> I have found that the slightly unusual characters "ę" and "ł" cause this. When they are both removed from the form, it all works as expected. I suspect it's a server issue rather than an EPrints/software issue, but I am an Apache novice.
>
> Has anybody came across this before and is able to offer advice? Even just knowing what to Google for a solution would be helpful as I'm not getting far with it at the moment.

Does your error_log say anything?  Do these characters end up in
headers, or in the URL w/o being encoded?

Re: [users@httpd] Internal Server Error - strange characters "ę" and "ł"

Posted by James Kerwin <jk...@gmail.com>.
Eric and David, thank you both for the advice, it was really helpful and
I've fixed my problem.

It appears that a script a colleague wrote as part of the EPrints software
made use of a UTF8 module, but only on one field of the data where it's
ussually necessary. In this instance it was on a name field which doesn't
typically require it.

thanks again for the advice; it's greatly appreciated.

James