Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/25 22:01:49 UTC

Kafka server relocation

Hi Team,

in my project, we have built a new datacenter for Kafka brokers and wants
to migrate from current datacenter to new one.

Switching producers and consumers wont be a problem provided New Datacenter
has all the messages of existing Datacenter.

i have only 1 topic with 2 partition that need to be migrated... that too
it is only 1 time activity.

Kindly suggest the best way to deal with this situation.

Regards,
Nitin Kumar Sharma.

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
how about the consumer lag of mirror maker?

Tao

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:43 PM, nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>

> On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 10:48 PM, tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Metrics like Bytepersec, FetchRequestRateAndTimeMs can help you to check
> if
> > the consumer has problem processing messages
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 2:40 AM, nitin sharma <
> kumarsharma.nitin@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > thanks, but can you please tell which metrics could highlight the
> factor
> > > causing slow data migration by MirrorMaker?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Nitin Kumar Sharma.

> > > kumarsharma.nitin@gmail.com>

> > > problem
> > system

> > > slow... i
> > for
> > and

> zookeeper.connect=<zk1hostname>:2181,<zk2hostname>:2181,<zk3hostname>:2181

Tao

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>.
hi Xiao,

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Now new issue.. the rate at which data is migrated is very very
> slow... i
> > > mean it took 5 min to copy only 15Kb.. :( .. here are the property for
> > > producer and consumer.. there is no network latency between Source and
> > > Destination clusters as such.
> > >

> > > #### Producer ###########
> > > metadata.broker.list=<broker1IP>:9092,<broker2IP>:9092
> > > serializer.class=kafka.serializer.DefaultEncoder
> > > auto.create.topics.enable=true
> > > request.required.acks=1
> > > request.required.acks=1
> > > producer.type=async
> > > batch.num.messages=3000
> > > queue.buffering.max.ms=5000
> > > queue.buffering.max.messages=100000
> > > queue.enqueue.timeout.ms=-1
> > > socket.send.buffer.bytes=5282880
> > >
> > > ######### Consumer ###########
> > >

> zookeeper.connect=<zk1hostname>:2181,<zk2hostname>:2181,<zk3hostname>:2181

Tao

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> queue.buffering.max.ms=5000
> queue.buffering.max.messages=100000
> queue.enqueue.timeout.ms=-1
> socket.send.buffer.bytes=5282880
>
> ######### Consumer ###########
> zookeeper.connect=<zk1hostname>:2181,<zk2hostname>:2181,<zk3hostname>:2181
> group.id=KafkaMaker
> auto.create.topics.enable=true
> socket.receive.buffer.bytes=5243880
> zookeeper.connection.timeout.ms=1000000
> num.consumer.fetchers=20
> fetch.message.max.bytes=5243880
>

> Regards,
> Nitin Kumar Sharma.
>

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 12:36 PM, tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Can you attach your mirror maker log?
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 12:28 AM, nitin sharma <
> kumarsharma.nitin@gmail.com
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > i tried with auto.offset.reset=smallest, but still not working..

Tao

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>.
hi,

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.
Can you attach your mirror maker log?

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 12:28 AM, nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> i tried with auto.offset.reset=smallest, but still not working..
>
> there is data in my source cluster
>
> Regards,
> Nitin Kumar Sharma.
>

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:30 PM, tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you have data sending to *testtopic? *By default mirror maker only
> > consumes data being sent after it taps into the topic. you need to keep
> > sending data to the topic after mirror maker connection is established.
> If
> > you want to change the behavior you can set auto.offset.reset=smallest so
> > that any new mirror maker coming to the topic will start from the
> smallest
> > offset
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 3:53 AM, nitin sharma <
> kumarsharma.nitin@gmail.com
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > thanks Xiao
> > >
> > > I tried MirrorMaker option in my test environment but failed. I am not
> > > able to see the log getting copied to destination cluster. I see in the
> > log
> > > of MirrorMaker process that connection is successfully established
> > between
> > > source and destination cluster but still not sure what i causing the
> > problem
> > >
> > > Env. Setup ==>
> > >
> > > I). Source Cluster (Qenv02) -- i have 2 broker(Qenv02kf01,Qenv02kf02)
> and
> > > 3 zk(Qenv02zk01,Qenv02zk02 and Qenv02zk03).
> > > Destination Clustern (Qenv05) -- i have 2 broker
> (Qenv05kf01,Qenv05kf02)
> > > and 3 zk(Qenv05zk01,Qenv05zk02 and Qenv05zk03).
> > >
> > > II). i have kept consumer and producer properties file in one of the
> > > source kafka broker config folder.
> > >
> > > III).i have executed following command from the same kafka broker  to
> > > start the process.. log are attached :
> > >
> > > /app/kafka/bin/kafka-run-class.sh kafka.tools.MirrorMaker
> > -consumer.config
> > > /app/kafka/config/consumer1.properties --num.streams=2
> --producer.config
> > > /app/kafka/config/producer1.properties --whitelist testtopic
> > >

> > > IV). I tried Consumer offset tracker tool also, while Mirror Maker
> > running
> > > . I tried by launching second session of same broker where mirror maker
> > is
> > > running. I got error message that "*NoNode for
> > > /consumers/KafkaMaker/offsets/testtopic/0*" .Complete log attached.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Nitin Kumar Sharma.

> mirror
> > consume
> > cluster.
> > instruct

> > understood

> kumarsharma.nitin@gmail.com>

> > and

> New

> migrated...

> > --
> > Regards,
> > Tao

Tao

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>.

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 3:53 AM, nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> mirror maker where to consumer data from.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:50 PM, nitin sharma <
>> kumarsharma.nitin@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > thanks Mayuresh and Jiangjie for your response.
>> >
>> > I have actually not understood Mirror maker clearly and hence bit
>> skeptical
>> > if i will be able to execute it effectively.
>> >
>> > Online i hv seen the following command to be execute, but not understood
>> >  what is consumer-1 & -2.properties here? do i need to copy from my
>> > consumer code? also, any reason why to provide consumer property?
>> >
>> > bin/kafka-run-class.sh kafka.tools.MirrorMaker --consumer.config
>> > consumer-1.properties --consumer.config consumer-2.properties
>> > --producer.config producer.properties --whitelist my-topic
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> > Nitin Kumar Sharma.
>> >

>> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Mayuresh Gharat <

Tao

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>.
thanks Xiao

I tried MirrorMaker option in my test environment but failed. I am not able
to see the log getting copied to destination cluster. I see in the log of
MirrorMaker process that connection is successfully established between
source and destination cluster but still not sure what i causing the problem

Env. Setup ==>

I). Source Cluster (Qenv02) -- i have 2 broker(Qenv02kf01,Qenv02kf02) and 3
zk(Qenv02zk01,Qenv02zk02 and Qenv02zk03).
Destination Clustern (Qenv05) -- i have 2 broker (Qenv05kf01,Qenv05kf02)
and 3 zk(Qenv05zk01,Qenv05zk02 and Qenv05zk03).

II). i have kept consumer and producer properties file in one of the source
kafka broker config folder.

III).i have executed following command from the same kafka broker  to start

Re: Kafka server relocation

Posted by tao xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:50 PM, nitin sharma <ku...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> thanks Mayuresh and Jiangjie for your response.
>
> I have actually not understood Mirror maker clearly and hence bit skeptical
> if i will be able to execute it effectively.
>
> Online i hv seen the following command to be execute, but not understood
>  what is consumer-1 & -2.properties here? do i need to copy from my
> consumer code? also, any reason why to provide consumer property?
>
> bin/kafka-run-class.sh kafka.tools.MirrorMaker --consumer.config
> consumer-1.properties --consumer.config consumer-2.properties
> --producer.config producer.properties --whitelist my-topic
>

> Regards,
> Nitin Kumar Sharma.
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 8:57 PM, Mayuresh Gharat <
> gharatmayuresh15@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > You can use the Mirror maker to move data from one data center to other
> and
> > once all the data has been moved you can shut down the source data center
> > by doing a controlled shutdown.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mayuresh
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Jiangjie Qin <jqin@linkedin.com.invalid
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > If you want to do a seamless migration. I think a better way is to
> build
> > > cross datacenter Kafka cluster temporarily. So the process is:
> > > 1. Add several new Kafka brokers in your new datacenter and add them to
> > > the old cluster.
> > > 2. Use replica assignment tool to reassign all the partitions to
> brokers
> > > in new datacenter.
> > > 3. Perform controlled shutdown on the brokers in old datacenter.
> > >
> > > Jiangjie (Becket) Qin

> > wants

> > too

> > --