Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <av...@fortytwo.ch> on 2004/03/18 11:43:14 UTC

split a repository

Yo!

I'm just starting to use subversion. So please just point me to the answer - I
probably have missed it.

Working with CVS, I used to remove projects from the repository when they were
finished, and burn them to CD, so that the project documentation has now the
whole project, including all history. Also, I don't have to carry around the
dead weight of all the past projects in the repository (and on all backup
copies).

How do I do this in subversion?

<http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book/book.html#svn-ch-5-sect-3.2> talks about
merging repositories with the --parent-dir option. But the section does not
talk aobut doing the reverse :-(

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Boomtime, the 4th day of Discord in the YOLD 3170

Re: split a repository

Posted by Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <av...@fortytwo.ch>.
On Thursday 18 March 2004 14.15, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> Use svndumpfilter to dump the entire repository, then re-load the whole
> thing without the project.   It's discussed in chapter 5, I think.

Yep, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks loads.

-- vbi

--
Today is Pungenday, the 5th day of Discord in the YOLD 3170
Celebrate Mojoday

Re: split a repository

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: split a repository

Posted by McClain Looney <m...@loonsoft.com>.
assuming you are using separate repositories in conjunction with the
SVNParentPath config directive, just cp the whole repository onto the cd.

if you aren't, i dunno, but the svndumpfilter sounds promising.

On Thursday 18 March 2004 05:43 am, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
wrote:
> How do I do this in subversion?

--
McClain Looney
LoonSoft LLC

Re: split a repository

Posted by Jan Hendrik <ja...@bigfoot.com>.
Concerning Re: split a repository
Tom Opgenorth wrote on 18 Mar 2004, 7:57, at least in part:

> > Working with CVS, I used to remove projects from the repository when
> > they were finished, and burn them to CD, so that the project
> > documentation has now the whole project, including all history.
> > Also, I don't have to carry around the dead weight of all the past
> > projects in the repository (and on all backup copies).
> It sounds like what you want is 'svn export'?

Nope. Please correct if I am wrong: He wants to preserve all the
history, too, not just the final product. Only he does not want to
carry on the finished projetc in his repos forever. Export would just
give him a working copy without the .svn admin area (if one may
call this a working copy at all!!).

Jan hendrik

Freedom quote:

     Europe's elites will gain another victory over their people.
                -- The Times, London, Dec. 9, 2003,
                   on the - postponed - vote on a European constitution.
                   The German people will not be allowed to vote on it anyway.
                       (quoted after press review in FAZ)

Re: split a repository

Posted by Tom Opgenorth <to...@opgenorth.net>.