Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Je...@nlgroup.ca on 2001/12/09 01:33:50 UTC

Advice on integrating struts within existing application

 Sorry ahead of time for the long winded intro...
I am new to struts and in the process of researching the framework. I have been
following this list for about 6 month's and am almost ready to present it  to my
team for use on future projects but would also like to start using it within a
production app.

I call it a production app because it is use now and the user base is growing,
though it is better described as working prototype.
It is based on the a Model (1.102) approach :-) and it breaks many of the well
known "JSP best practices", but because there are only three of us working on it
we manage to keep it working. It is very much in need of a framework like
struts.

Though we are making constant changes to it, we cannot stop development to
change the whole app over to struts.   besides managers don't like the words
"re-write" or "overhaul" :)

If I could, I would like to be able to target a page or group of pages at a time
and convert them using the struts controller and actions.
The only way I would be able  to make use of struts features in our current
project,is to phase in the changes over many releases.

I have many questions but the main ones are
1 - Is there any one with a similar experience?
2 - Are there any features that only work if adopted system wide?
3 - Do I need to use the Struts - HTML tags?
4 - Is there anything from the point of page design that struts will prevent  me
from doing? (ie: DHTML, CSS)
5 - Can someone play devil's advocate tell me something 'not good' about struts?

I know some of these are open ended questions, but thanks anyway

Jeff Mychasiw

Re: Advice on integrating struts within existing application

Posted by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com>.
I haven't done what you are asking, but I will add
what I know...
--- Jeff_Mychasiw@nlgroup.ca wrote:
> 2 - Are there any features that only work if adopted
> system wide?
can't think of any, but I am a relative newbie and
have trouble measuring the impact.
> 3 - Do I need to use the Struts - HTML tags?
no
> 4 - Is there anything from the point of page design
> that struts will prevent  me
> from doing? (ie: DHTML, CSS)
no
> 5 - Can someone play devil's advocate tell me
> something 'not good' about struts?
I think that Struts is good programming practice.  The
one thing to consider is what impact using the actions
will have.  You may have to do a large rewrite.

Posted by Burr Sutter <st...@japache.org>.
I noticed that you didn't get a lot of replies to your inquiry.  So, I'll just throw out my two cents, perhaps that will generate a little more discussion.
>> 2 - Are there any features that only work if adopted system wide?
None that I can think of.
>> 3 - Do I need to use the Struts - HTML tags?
Yes. At least for the form fields. Otherwise you won't have them remember the state of the last post.
>> 4 - Is there anything from the point of page design that struts will prevent me from doing? (ie: DHTML, CSS)
Nothing that I can think of.
>> 5 - Can someone play devil's advocate tell me something 'not good' about struts?
Learning curve can be a bit tough

Burr
sutter@bravepoint.com
--