Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/26 14:43:36 UTC

Paying attention to JIRA and RB

Hi,

I spent some time yesterday on JIRA and RB, looking at bugs that I reported and bugs assigned to me.
Then I looked at docs bugs and a few other older bugs.

What I noticed is that we are not updating the tickets properly on JIRA.
And that on RB we sometimes ship a review but don't apply the patch or don't reference it and don't close the review.

Most notably I ran into tickets that were actually resolved (patch applied in review board), but not closed in JIRA.
There are also invalid and duplicate bugs.

We would all benefit from spending 30 minutes on JIRA check bugs and update them. I am sure we will have a JIRA sprint when we get closer to the release date, but doing it now would save us time.

One thing that I also noticed is that sometimes patches from RB are not applied to all adequate branches (master vs 4.0 vs 4.1 ).

Finally, we need to make sure that we apply patches to all appropriate branches otherwise it's a real pain to go check for the actual change that happened, where and why.

Morning thoughts,

-Sebastien

RE: Paying attention to JIRA and RB

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.
We had similar discussion in QA Scrum as well regarding check-ins that are supposed to happen in relevant branches.
Usually we clone defects for relevant branches so validation can be carried out in each branch separately as code changes from branch to branch and fix might work differently.
Can we do same here as well?

Also I asked QA to request relevant info when testing a feature - Resolved status for the feature/ Unit Tests/ Check in details for all branches.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:29 PM, Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:13:36PM +0530, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I spent some time yesterday on JIRA and RB, looking at bugs that I
>> reported and bugs assigned to me.
>> Then I looked at docs bugs and a few other older bugs.
>>
>> What I noticed is that we are not updating the tickets properly on
>> JIRA.
>> And that on RB we sometimes ship a review but don't apply the patch
>> or don't reference it and don't close the review.
>>
>> Most notably I ran into tickets that were actually resolved (patch
>> applied in review board), but not closed in JIRA.
>> There are also invalid and duplicate bugs.
>>
>> We would all benefit from spending 30 minutes on JIRA check bugs and
>> update them. I am sure we will have a JIRA sprint when we get closer
>> to the release date, but doing it now would save us time.
>>
>> One thing that I also noticed is that sometimes patches from RB are
>> not applied to all adequate branches (master vs 4.0 vs 4.1 ).
>>
>> Finally, we need to make sure that we apply patches to all
>> appropriate branches otherwise it's a real pain to go check for the
>> actual change that happened, where and why.
>>
>> Morning thoughts,
>>
>> -Sebastien
>
> :)
>
> behaviour changes will take a while for everyone to adapt to. but +1
> to your thoughts and to what Chip mentioned in another email -
>

> "assign bugs to yourself rather than someone assign them to you"
The golden lines :)

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:13:36PM +0530, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I spent some time yesterday on JIRA and RB, looking at bugs that I
> reported and bugs assigned to me.
> Then I looked at docs bugs and a few other older bugs.
>
> What I noticed is that we are not updating the tickets properly on
> JIRA.
> And that on RB we sometimes ship a review but don't apply the patch
> or don't reference it and don't close the review.
>
> Most notably I ran into tickets that were actually resolved (patch
> applied in review board), but not closed in JIRA.
> There are also invalid and duplicate bugs.
>
> We would all benefit from spending 30 minutes on JIRA check bugs and
> update them. I am sure we will have a JIRA sprint when we get closer
> to the release date, but doing it now would save us time.
>
> One thing that I also noticed is that sometimes patches from RB are
> not applied to all adequate branches (master vs 4.0 vs 4.1 ).
>
> Finally, we need to make sure that we apply patches to all
> appropriate branches otherwise it's a real pain to go check for the
> actual change that happened, where and why.
>
> Morning thoughts,
>
> -Sebastien

:)